5spd vd C4

Redsnk95

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2002
Houston, TX
95 Mustang Cobra +400rwhp NA power. Do you think a pro-shifted 5spd will be faster than a C4 with a good converter? My driving abilities and clutch adjustment abilities are good.

Discuss. Just getting other's input.....I'm looking for a "decent" discussion here with some good information.

Troy

• Sponsors (?)

Id have to say at that power level you can still shift the car faster as long as your a good driver that power shifts. Plus the stick will eat up less hp!!:nice:
Whats the combo?

I cut my teeth on 4 speed transmissions from the 60's and 70's like Top Loader and Borg Warner.

Its been a long time ago but this is what I recall from those times.

Back in those days, we would take the trans to a shop and they would do stuff to make it power shift like butter at 6K and above.

For more money, those trans guys would make it so that you only used the clutch during launch.

however

Peeps who had that mod done lost the ability to down shift while moving unless you double clutched the trans.

I myself never did the clutchless shift mod as it was a good bit more expensive. You usually only saw that mod on dedicated race cars.

As for the power shift mod, IIRC, they did something to the blocker rings. I can say they shifted like a dream at WOT and max rpm.

Back then, if you were a decent stick man, you were not at a disadvantage what so ever to a built up auto trans.

The ultimate stick trans used to be a Jerico. Purpose built for the 1/4 mile. It was not cheap but it would take big power and shift great.

Most ford guys back then were using the C4 or C6 auto trans depending upon if they were small or big block.

Like everything Troy, I would have to think the torque converters, shift kits, and the like have gotten more efficient these days.

Not saying the auto would be better but just bringing up a thought.

I'd have to think you could get a t5, Tremec, or any other trans of today modded for more efficient track use.

Final point I wanna make is .....................

The trans mod made missed shifts the exception to the rule when comparing it to a stock trans.

When you see peeps on these street forums talk trash toward a stick trans, they usually have their auto trans setup with full tilt mods like tc's, shift kits, and the like.

Having said that ............

In the past several years I've been on these street forums, I don't recall ever seeing anybody with a stick trans talk about having equal mods done to their trans.

Not really an apples to apples compairson don't you see.

Grady

This motor will make about 375-380rwhp through the C4...through a T5 it will put down about 440-450rwhp. The C4 I have is a full built transmission, fully manual reverse valvebody w/ transbrake and I have a good PI converter that is set to brake up around 4500-4600rpms. I shift this motor around 7200rpms.
I've driven a car with a pro-shifted T5 and I will say this...if you miss a gear in a pro-shifted T5 then you shouldn't have a 5spd in your car. In a power adder car, especially a boosted car the auto would be the way to go hands down but in a NA car....if you can shift the T5 does do well provided your clutch set-up/adjustment is correct with the proper amt of air gap.

Troy