5th Gear?

BL00DSH0T

Aug 25, 2009
How are most of you using your 5th gear?

Silly question I know.

I have heard some say it is an OD gear and only use it on the highway's.
Then there are some that say they use it as often as they can for better MPG.

I have been mixing it up and from the fuel display is does look like you get better MPG when using 5th gear as much as you can.

I have the 3.73 gears and the engine really purrs nicely in 4th then is almost silent in 5th gear. That will change next week when I put the Roush exhaust on.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I lock out 5th gear (in my automatic) for in town driving, but always use it on the freeway and country roads since I have 4.10 gears. I also have to use 5th at the dragstrip since I use a short, 275/40/17 drag radial and 4th gear hits the 6,400 rpm redline about 200-300 feet before the traps.

I use 5th on the highway of course but also around town when I will be crusing around 40 mph or more and I want to save some gas. But like you all that will change next week when I get the Roush exhaust put in. Then I think I will be downshifting more into 4th to eliminate the drone I may get with low engine rpms in high gear at low speeds.

Joe

How are most of you using your 5th gear?

Silly question I know.

I have heard some say it is an OD gear and only use it on the highway's.
Then there are some that say they use it as often as they can for better MPG.

I have been mixing it up and from the fuel display is does look like you get better MPG when using 5th gear as much as you can.

I have the 3.73 gears and the engine really purrs nicely in 4th then is almost silent in 5th gear. That will change next week when I put the Roush exhaust on.

Thanks

I try and use 5th gear as much as I can. That usually is when there's a nice stretch of uninterrupted road with little traffic and a 40MPH speed limit or above like the previous poster said.