6-speed T56, will it work with the 3.8's?

GM Dude

Jan 15, 2004
Sanford, MI
Just wondering if anyone's tried to make the 6-speed T56 work with the 3.8's? Also will the T56's out of the Corvette's and Viper's work? I assume they're the same transmission completely besides the bellhousing?

• Sponsors (?)

GM Dude said:
Just wondering if anyone's tried to make the 6-speed T56 work with the 3.8's? Also will the T56's out of the Corvette's and Viper's work? I assume they're the same transmission completely besides the bellhousing?

I imagine that it would work since the V6's currently use all the same tranny's as the GT's except for some beefing up of the internals. Also, I know of several stangs that have Viper-spec T56's so I assume they work as well. More modification necessary of course.

Nope. Won't work. Like the T-45 and T-3650, the T-56 has an integrated bellhousing.

That means for each vehicle, the car has a different bellhousing bolt pattern.

On the Ford's, the T-56 will only bolt up to the modular engine platform.

There are kits to make it work with the 302 and 351, however i doubt they exist for the 3.8L

But a 6-spd with a stockish 3.8L is useless. The engine does not have the power to make use of the 2.66 1st gear ratio unless you have 4.56's or 5.10's out back in the rear. In reality it would make the V6 slower. It makes stock GT's a tenth or two slower.

Think about the cars that come with T-56's factory. GTO's, LS1 trans ams and camaros, Z06's, Vipers, CObras....all with gobs and gobs of torque. The gear ratios are optimized for them.

The V6 has a T-5, which has not been used in a V8 Mustang since 1995.

they make a kit to adapt a t-56 to a 5.0 and im sure it can be fabed to work on a 3.8... where there is a will there is a way ..... but in the end why do you want to run this tranny? its heavier, has worse gearing? the only reason to run the ford spec tranny is for autox reasons..... the viper spec is a decent set up with a nice second over drive.