'65 3 speed trans rebuild

mds65stang

Jun 8, 2003
pittsburgh
I'm near the end of rebuild, but i forgot how the shift levers are assembled to trans. Chilton's Hayne's and shop manual have confusing pictures. Are the shift levers to "point" up or down ? Do the "point' towards front of car or to the rear ? Everyone always says to take a photo before disassembly ... I'll do that next time, for sure !
Thanks for any help. M :shrug: ike

• Sponsors (?)

Another thing you might try if the transmission is out of the car is rotate the shaft with it in a gear and see if u can find the reverse then just determine the others in the same manner by ratio of turns or find reverse and go from there using this picture as help
c5zz-7213-h.gif

hope this helps that shift ball does match my 3 spd so I would assume its correct for yours as well

Attachments

• c5zz-7213-h.gif
    c5zz-7213-h.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 78
what im trying to say is if the levers are installed on the wrong linkage it wont shift that pattern correctly thus u switch them and try again.

if you know which lever is reverse on your trans the front one or the rear one and which way it is pushed forward or backward then you know which lever connects to your shifter for reverse then the other one goes on the other lever and if your still wrong shift the shifter and see if u come up with that pattern by turning the trans if it dont match the pattern then change the levers