65 Mustang

elessar

Apr 19, 2006
I just picked up a 65 Mustang with a 6 cyclinder that needs to be rebuilt. I want to do as much as possible myself. Everything is original and I want to restore it. Any suggestions on what book to buy to rebuild engine and restore?

• Sponsors (?)

Man, I can't think of any off the top of my head, maybe a Chiltons will get you most of it. They're pretty simple cars, but to the uninitiated it can be daunting. You might want to find a free picture posting website and take lots of pictures of the car and post them on there so we can see your purchase and give advice.

How bad is the rust on it? Do you know of the typical rust spots on the car? If you take a water hose and turn it on medium and put it in the middle of the windsheild, letting the water flow into the open cowl, does water pour out from under the dash onto the floor inside the car? If so, that's a bad thing, cowl rot.

Front and rear torque boxes, near the rear of the front fender at the bottom, over the rear wheel wells and the bottom of the fender behind the wheel well up to the rear valance are all typical places of rust. If the car has a vinyl top that looks pretty shreaded is another likely place as they never painted or primed the tops of vinyl top cars. Drip rails are another location as well as all the floor boards and the bottoms of the doors. There are differences between the suspensions of the 6 cyl. and 8 cyl. cars.

But lucky for you, they produce just about every part in the aftermarket for the '65-'66 cars. Bad news is, knowing where to shop and what parts to get as there are some crappy pieces out there.

I'd suggest going to Barnes and Noble and spending some time going thru the books they have on the Mustang and see what you like and then ask about those books here, that way your not wasting your money on some books that aren't any good.

Another thing that would be good to know is your age, your mechanical experience, what tools you own in general, where you'll be working on the car, and how deep are your pockets.

A full restoration done by the owner can easily get to around $15k+ and end up being worth around $10k+. If your name were Chip Foose, you'd probably have $25k in it, but it'd be worth $35k. Such is the nature of the beast.

Talk to the Blue Fuzzy ones as that is what he has. I think your engine is covered in the Chiltons 1965 Falcon manual. There is also reprints of the factory service manual available. Is it a 65 (200) or a 64-1/2 (170)? Most of your cars powertrain info will be found in the Falcon manuals as that is where it all came from.