65 Resto

Ltac3

Jul 10, 2015
OK so Ive got a 65 mustang convertible that was restored i put a 5 speed in it and had a new drive-shaft made for it. Now when i get on the gas there is an awful lot of vibration it feels as though the car might shake apart. Now i put it on the lift and shook the drive-shaft there was play at either end,the rear end,and the tranny now my question is can someone please help me,i need to know can i tighten,shim or do i need another drive-shaft.Also i smell burning plastic when i get in and out of the car when its been driven. Any and all help appreciated thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is this the drive shaft its self that has play ? Is it side to side play or rotational play ,or is the play in the third member ?
If you had new exhaust added to the car this is probably your burning plastic smell ,it will go away after a while ,some new tubing has a coating that will burn off .

Thanks for the response.
The play is at the trannys slip yoke and the rear slip yoke,its rotational i can move in all directions,and yes flywheel is correct, the tranny is a borg warner e6zr-6394-aa if that helps could it be the slip yokes are crap not sure of brand but ive heard china brands have some play thanks again

Start by getting in the car and stating it in neutral .Bring the RPMs up to around 2000 ,just because it is supposed to be the correct fly wheel doesn't mean that is what you were given .If you have a vibration in neutral it is something out of balance / the fly wheel .
Check the wheels to see if they are bent .
Who built the drive shaft ? Did they do a good job ?
Check for a bent axle .
Is the five speed out of a wreck ,it could have a bent tail shaft .

When you say "move in all directions" are you talking about the yokes themselves or the u-joint moving inside the bearing cups. If there is any play at the cups you will definitely get vibes.
Was this vibration immediate from the first time you drove after mods or did they show up some time later?
Is this vibration a noise (like something laying against something else) or is it more of a vibration you can feel or both?
I would also check the travel of your driveshaft and make sure they did not get it too long which could cause it to "bottom out" once the car is on the ground.