Engine and tranny installed
2205350_96_full.jpg

20 gallon fuel cell
2205350_100.jpg

Magnaflow 3" stainless kit
2205350_101.jpg

prepping for supercharger
2205350_109.jpg

Opentracker shock tower caps (raises about 1/2")
2205350_110.jpg

Viper seats (thanks again CobraDan)
2205350_111.jpg

MSD 6-BTM
2205350_113.jpg

Autometer gauges, not new but I am replacing the fuel and Speedo and will be adding the boost gauge and maybe an A/F meter.
2205350_112.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

So you got all that done before 4:00 today? Good work! :p

Seriously, that is quite a build. A blown 408 Clevor, you must be in the 800 hp neighborhood, seein as how all those NA Engine Masters 434 Clevors were hitting 700 with a 6500 rpm cutoff.

I guess I probably missed prior threads, so I apologize for asking questions that have probably been answered, but what heads are you running? And what intake?

I've always wondered if a 9.5" Clevor would fit in a First Gen. I take it that the answer is no, not without the notched shock towers. Is that your conclusion?

So you got all that done before 4:00 today? Good work! :p

Seriously, that is quite a build. A blown 408 Clevor, you must be in the 800 hp neighborhood, seein as how all those NA Engine Masters 434 Clevors were hitting 700 with a 6500 rpm cutoff.

I guess I probably missed prior threads, so I apologize for asking questions that have probably been answered, but what heads are you running? And what intake?

I've always wondered if a 9.5" Clevor would fit in a First Gen. I take it that the answer is no, not without the notched shock towers. Is that your conclusion?

Actually, I've been working on the project since last August and haven't posted anything on Stangnet. My original plan was to run the supercharger but time is running out prepping for the Hot Rod Power Tour so I probably won't run with it for now. I built my engine with my basic engine knowledge, and a "How to build Small block Ford" book. My first ground up engine. The heads are 2v open chamber and the intake is a B&A TRACK BOSS 351W. I wanted a streetable 15# boost so decided for a low compression engine. The 408w stroker kit I had was already low but I wanted it lower. The heads have 76.2cc combustion chambers.
As to the fitment, I think it would have fit without notching the shock towers had I used stock unmodified heads. I had a 351w in the car and it fit great. In the first pic you can see the heads have these aluminum blocks that raise the exhaust ports. They raise the outer edge of the head as well, seen in the third pic. I found out they are from Price Motor Sports. That is what was the clearance issue. I wasn't able to get a clean shot to the spark plugs where on a stock head I would have. I bought the heads at a swap meet last year and they came that way. I wanted them because they already have screw in studs, and had the BOSS mods done to it for the coolant outlets. John has a 351C in his car and I've seen it many times. I would have to see both cars side by side to tell which one fit better.

I do see those port plates now that you mention it.

The thing about a 351 Cleveland in a '65-'66 vs. a 351 Windsor with Cleveland heads is the deck height on the Cleveland block is 9.2" while it's 9.5" on the Windsor. That extra 0.3" could make all the difference. My '70 Cougar with the 1" extra width between shock towers and with a 351C is a pain in the bazoo to change the middle plugs on each side. That's why I've wondered, after you subtract the extra 1" between the shock towers by going with a '65-'66, then add the extra 0.3" in deck height by going with the tall deck Windsor block, whether a 408 or 427 Clevor would fit in a '65-'66. The Cleveland head is quite a bit chunkier on the exhaust side than the Windsor, as your side-by-side pic demonstrates. The Windsor head puts those spark plugs out in the open, but the Cleveland hides them.

I lowered my engine 1/2" but I don't think that makes a difference. The deck heights between the blocks may be different but can you be sure that the mounting height is the same as well. Deck isn't relative to the relation of the mounting height. What I'm saying wit the exhaust is the angle the headers exit the Clevor might be a better fit on a stock 351C headed Clevor, with it 1" lower than my port plates. This did have some reason for me to lower the engine.

wow bart,
that car has come a very long way since Hawaii. I know the last post was in may but I havent been following the progress since last we talked. INterior looks fantastic too. good job.

Ive never understood the Cleveland thing, but I think I said that when you posted pictures of this engine over on tffn. Hey, horsepowers horsepower, and youve got plenty of it, so I cant complain about that! Whats the deal on the raised shock tower caps? I dont believe Ive ever seen those before, or heard what the advantage would be.

I think he is indisposed at this time. i blv one advantage is because is car is lowered quite a bit which compacts the shock and hence easier to bottom out. this allows the shock to be extended even more allowing more movement of the shock and the suspension. if there is more i am sure he or someone else will chime in.

actually they are to keep the shock in the middle of it's travel on a lowered car, your explanation was pretty close though. when you lower a car you change where the shock sits in it's travel at rest so when the shock moves it doesn't dampen the suspension as effectively as it should so it's really not working as designed. by raising the upper mounting point of the shock you put the shock back in the middle of it's travel so it can again work as it designed. shelby did this to the 65 GT-350's only they used spacers between the shock and the mount, same effect just not as astetically pleasing as you could grind down all the welds on this shock mount and it will look perfectly stock.