'66 Smooth cowl

has anyone considered smoothing the cowl and bringing in filtered air from outside through the cowl box side panels?.. My cowl panel is destroyed so I'll have to find another panel anyhow... does anyone know a souce by chance for a smoothed cowl panel for a '66.... if not does anyone have a source for a cowl panel at all? (am having trouble finding one).. if there isnt such a thing I can modify the standard version but thought it would be worth the try to same myself the major fabrication work

• Sponsors (?)

5.0n66 said:
has anyone considered smoothing the cowl and bringing in filtered air from outside through the cowl box side panels?.. My cowl panel is destroyed so I'll have to find another panel anyhow... does anyone know a souce by chance for a smoothed cowl panel for a '66.... if not does anyone have a source for a cowl panel at all? (am having trouble finding one).. if there isnt such a thing I can modify the standard version but thought it would be worth the try to same myself the major fabrication work

my cousin had this done to his. find a piece of metal thick enough to stick over the grill area and be flush with the top of the cowl. then have someone weld it together. then use a little body filler and get that thing paited.
I think it look mean as hell with a cowl induction hood :nice:

yeah the more I look at it the easier I think it will be to actually smooth it (great to hear that it's actually been done and turned out well :) ), I think the main problem for me will be finding the upper cowl panel the edges on mine are all ripped up and cowl panel got run over.... if worst comes to worst there's a remote possibility it can be fixed... anybody have ideas on where to find the panel itself short of buying a parts car?

cowl

I filled mine in years ago. I like the smooth look :nice: I ran fresh air in from under the fender on the passenger's side. It a low pressure are while your driving so pulling air for the heater works well in this area. The hardest part was determining the length of the tube in order to draw enough air but no water. I'll post a pic when I get home from work today.

Ken