67 coupe

• Sponsors (?)

vobraman said:
What type of suspension looks good and handles well ?
I was thinking about 620's in the front and mid eye in the rear.
thanks
brian

Brain this question is a little too open ended for a proper answer.

First: What type of driving are you planning? Street, drag, open track?
Second: What is your budget?

All I can do is shoot in the dark until you answer those simple questions but here goes. For a nice general purpose street with occosional trips to the either the drags or the road course a slightly modyfied stock setup is usually the best value.

New stock style UCA and lower UCAs is a great place to start.
Running the 620 drop springs is nice and gives the car a nice lowered look....most people don't notice it though cause you pull out 35 yr old parts that are already making the car sit low ;) For shocks, I run and like the KYB gas adjusts but there are a lot of option out there..the kybs are middle of the road.
In the rear I run 5 leaf mid eyes and another set of KYBs...these components combine to give the car a very possitive road feel (like a sports car). Somepeople report that the ride characteristics are a little harsh but this is a personal thing.

I also recommend performing the shelby a arm mod during your rebuild this will improve the steering geomoetry...lower the front look a little bit more and benefit you with improved steering. If this is a 65-6 I also recomend an adjustable strut rod set from Streetortrack...I put these on my car and virtually all bump steer went away and it makes it easier to get the alignment settings you will want

You should also put in a 1 1/8 or larger front sway bar this will improve the handling characteristics as well as a MC bar and an Export brace (if you don't already have one). There is a lot of debate over rear sway bars, but I run one and recommend them to everyone....it further stiffens the rear of the carmaking for a rougher than stock ride, but help you corner nice and flat...also consider a set of underriders these will help you accelerate spirited without wheel hop.

The last part of handling that is important is steering and often overlooked. If you have the original manual steering box think about replaceing it, putting in a new idler arm, and tie rods (I also run a roller bearing kit in my idler arm which helps smooth out the manual steering especially with a heaveir than stock motor). I put in a flaming river 16:1 box and the car set up this way drives VERY well and handles everything I have thrown at it so far.

Now, if you have a lot funds to play with, I love the TCP coil over kits for the front as well as their manual rack. These two items upgrade the compements and instead of optimizing the 35 yr old tech, they replace it with newer tech. I could write for another 2 hours about suspension mods and after market parts but I won't....

again you need to consider, what you want to do with the car, what 'look' you want to have, and how much you want to spend.

Here's my look:
paintedhood.jpg