68 Fastback Body Shell

Ron, I'm sorry, you are absolutley right. I made the whole thing up, in fact the DMV is the custom builders best freind. BTW, I've built enough street rods to know exactly how the DMV works as far as cars are concerned. BTW, you may want to read your own sig before you stroll into the DMV expecting to tell the truth about ANY custom-built vehicle, especially a bike with a non-OEM engine. Keep us all posted on how it works out for ya...

• Sponsors (?)

stroll into the DMV expecting to tell the truth about ANY custom-built vehicle
I posted the SB100 outline, the process has been done to death by the Cobra and Locost guys, so I don't see how you have a problem with it. Visit a Cobra, Locost, or any kit-car forum and tell them how impossible it is to register their cars in your evil state.

Here's one experience, from a guy installing a bike engine in his Locost:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13521&sid=93916b23d0d0550233cee91d02f95798
Success!!!
I arrived at the DMV at 7:50am to find a short line and about 5 people ahead of me, chatting words like Shelby, Cobra, V8 and stuff so figured that they were also going for SB100.
Since I had an appointment, I got the first ticket for the office. I think I was lucky as the guy at the desk knew exactly what to do. I paid a total of $242 for registration and taxes paid, and the clerk didn't need to see any receipts for parts. He never asked about the bike engine

When his appointment came in September:
I had a 10:30 appointment, stood in line when the doors opened at 9, and was out 40 mins later, before my scheduled appointment time!
I too paid less than $100 in taxes.
So much for those evil laws that took away his fun. Oh wait, he did the research, and is now having fun.

As for the bikes, the one per lifetime applies to motorcycles equipped with EPA-exempt engines, i.e. custom engines that don't meet any emissions guidelines. It has nothing to do with frames, forks, pipes, mid-life crises... just engines. Car builders have been faced with this for years, yet somehow we all seem to get along just fine - been to a car show in CA lately? Do you really think all those street registered 347-ed 5.0s are exempt? Do any of the following phrases sound familiar to you, and do you think all the cars you see follow these rules?
a) "Not legal for sale or use in California."
b) "Not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicles."
c) "Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway."

Pollution controls for our Mustangs came in 1966/67, so legally, just about everything in the latest Summit catalog is not allowed on our cars. Oh, that evil government, taking away my freedom! Let me find a cast iron 2V EGR manifold, lest Arnold's squad comes knocking on my door. If I had a once in a lifetime shot at a non-approved engine for my car such as those elusive late-model 5.0 crate engines imagine what I could do!

I made the whole thing up
No, you made some of it up. Rather than facts, you posted a rant. I'm not a fan of EPA and CARB regulations myself, but your energy is better spent on contacting your local and state representatives on a regular basis. Provide facts to your message board friends, and urge them to contact said persons. As you say, custom built vehicles are in such a small minority that they're better off finding other places to reduce emissions and it's our job to remind them.

Besides, sometimes it's the letter of the law that's protected, not the intent. Because as we all know, nobody drives past the speed limit, puts strokers in their 5.0s, or removes the smog pump from their 1967 Mustangs. That would be illegal.

BTW, James was fined $270,000, not $770,000.

How much do those bodies go for?
A guy on cafords just picked up a 67 FB shell for 800 dollars. It looks pretty good.
Roughly 19-1/2 times that much. :eek:

However, you're getting a zero miles, zero rust, zero "tweaks" body; with thicker sheetmetal, '69-'70 "big block" reinforced shock towers, almost all the extra chassis stiffeners of the convertible body on the fastback shell and a couple other "later model" design changes. That has to change your perspective on the price a little. Consider this: Say you were into the intermediate-body cars from Ford in the early 70's. Given the opportunities, would you rather have a brand new 73 Gran Torino repop shell (with some built-in upgrades); or one that possibly belonged to a 19-yr-old that honked on it one time too many, spun it and ended up bouncing backwards over some railroad tracks at.....oh, I dunno, say Ina Road and I-10 in northwest Tucson?
Don't know where I ever came up with that scenario :rolleyes:

No matter how solid it may seem, and how well the body took the hit and shows no damage (maybe a broken shock and bent upper mount in the back.....); it never does seem to stay in alignment after that........

Just sayin'