68 Mustang Seatbelts

xero0620

Jul 15, 2008
Vacaville Ca.
Did the 68 come with seatbelts from the factory or at least places to mount lap belts? Reason I ask is because I just bought a 68 but it has no seatbelts. Guy said it didnt have any but even if thats true there would be mounting locations correct? 68's had a 3rd spot for your sholder from the factory so Im thinking the floor mounts should be there for sure. How hard is it to move the carpet and put it back? Any input would be appriciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Taking carpet out is very easy, especially if you don't have a floor console. Really just involves removing the sill plates, kick panels and seats. The carpet then just lifts out.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can get under the car, you can run an awl up through the mounting plate for he belts in the tunnel. Mark the spot, and cut out a small square of carpet around the hole. DOn't use a drill! It will snag the loop and pull a row of loops out of the carpet. The ones on the inner rockers, you will have to hunt for them with an awl, or someone on here can give you a rough measurement. THe threaded holes have to be there.

Not sure the bolt size, but you can order stock set or pull a set from the junk yard. You "can" use regular bolts, but I would put the right bolts in if you can. A regular bolt might work it's way out at the worst possible time? I try to use the hardware the engineer designed-especially for safety equipment. Oh, sometimes the seat belt bolts are fine thread so be carefule zinging any old bolt in the hole. I don't know off the top of my head what years were fne or course thread bolts...

Well I got one seat belt in today. I was going to lift the carpet but that **** is glued in there so I just removed the door sill at the floor and pulled the carpet back enough to see that hole and then I stabbed from the underside for the trans tunnel hole. Not that big of deal except for the black widow under the car that almost made me scream like a little girl. Thanks for the help guys.

My '68 had those goofy shoulder belts that are seperate and clip into the roof and fasten to a seperate buckle in the lap belt. I used them once and only once before I figured that wasn't going to cut it. When I redid the car, I went with repo lap belts only. Much, much more comfy even if they're not 100% correct.