'68 Neutral safety switch + weird starting issue.

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
I just put in 8 hours of work getting my car closer to being roadworthy only to be roadblocked by an electrical issue. I did a search and found alot, but nothing specifically applying to my issue.

One problem is how to bypass the neutral safety switch wiring. It was an auto when I got it and is now a stick. I have the 4-pin connector on the firewall that went to the NSS and I have the pigtail from the NSS itself(clipped it off). I tried jumping different combos of the black w/red stripe wires on the red w/blue stripes and figured out that two are reverse lights and two are the neutral switch.

Alright, that just about answers the the 'how to bypass' issue. My REAL problem is that when the two NSS wires are joined, the started solenoid activates when the key is in RUN, not START like it should. When I turn the key to START, the solenoid turns off, as if in the RUN position. I dont know what the POs did over the years, but could the START and RUN poles of the ignition switch be reversed?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the info. I slept on it and started realizing that I probably had the reverse light's hot lead going to the solenoid's START circuit. I need to do some more troubleshooting this morning. Good to know about the choke, but mine is manual. This whole problem stemmed from wiring my electric fuel pump, though, so I think it'll be the key-on power for my relay. :nice: