7 Deadly Sins of car building

Benoit23

Sep 13, 2007
Denton, Texas
I found this in another forum & thought I'd post it here for you guys.

7 Deadly Sins of car building

Envy
Allowing envy of another builder to ruin your own building. ("I can never build a car that nice - I'm giving up!")
Never forget that determination is the most important thing of all. Envy kills determination.

Pride
Being so damn proud of something that you've done that you alienate everyone around you. ("I'm better than you - and I know it!") Arrogance is never a good thing. The best are usually also the most humble. The most arrogant are usually not the best. You don't have to be ashamed of anything you've done (especially if you've learned from it), but you don't have to put anyone else down, either.

Gluttony
Always trying too much of a good thing. ("If enough is good, too much is way better!") If a 4-inch chop looks good, then 8 inches will be even cooler. Looking low is cool, so I'll scrape the ground. The directions say to spray two medium coats, so I'll lay on 4 heavy coats. Moderation is the key to just about everything, and that's doubly true for customizing.

Lust
You always want a car you don't have, a tool they just came out with, a part you can't find. ("This is great, but what I'd REALLY like to have is...") Learn to love what you have, instead of always craving that which you do not have.

Anger
If you get pissed off every time you work on your car, you're doing it wrong. We all get frustrated and annoyed sometimes, and no one likes to scrape their knuckles (again!), but keep it in perspective. Would you rather be working on your car, or doing something else? If the answer is "something else," then don't work on your car.

Greed
If you own more cars than you can ever build, more tools than you will ever use, and constantly crave more, you suffer from greed. ("He who dies with the most stuff wins!") Gotta have it all, gotta keep it all. The only cure is to occassionally go through your stuff and weed it out. Do you really need all those rear ends? All those manifolds? All those widgets? No, you don't. No one does. Get a grip.

Sloth
Everything in the shop is a mess, and none of your projects ever get done. You don't remember the last time you cleaned up. Or, worse, you're always taking shortcuts when it comes to measuring, cutting, welding, and finishing. ("Good enough!") Only "right" is "good enough" - anything else is just "not quite right."

• Sponsors (?)

Gluttony
Always trying too much of a good thing. ("If enough is good, too much is way better!") If a 4-inch chop looks good, then 8 inches will be even cooler. Looking low is cool, so I'll scrape the ground. The directions say to spray two medium coats, so I'll lay on 4 heavy coats. Moderation is the key to just about everything, and that's doubly true for customizing

************same thing goes for HP*************

Gluttony
Always trying too much of a good thing. ("If enough is good, too much is way better!") If a 4-inch chop looks good, then 8 inches will be even cooler. Looking low is cool, so I'll scrape the ground. The directions say to spray two medium coats, so I'll lay on 4 heavy coats. Moderation is the key to just about everything, and that's doubly true for customizing

************same thing goes for HP*************

The hot-rodders motto.....if more is better then too much is PERFECT!!!

So, you don't want the 66 Shelby?

Larry

Nah; Shelby's are way overrated :p
Don't get me wrong, Shelbys are great Mustangs and just the intitial "shot in the arm that Ford needed; but I wouldn't expect the near-mythical performance others attribute to the car; just because of its name. At some point you stop paying for the performance and start paying for (and paying to insure) the name - at that point the fun starts slipping away for me.

(Besides; why have a quick but still small 289 HiPo; when you could be lighting the fuse on a big ol' four-twinny-eight? :drool: :nice: :D