'71 Mach 1

undercnstrction

Nov 10, 2009
yes i realize that this topic is a FAR cry from a foxbody but i figured what the ****

so i have a friend of mine that offered up a '71 Mach 1 to me for $2000. it supposedly has a Cleveland motor (that he claims is rebuilt), it has an interior that was redone 3 years ago but the car sat outside in the meantime. he says it has a new trans in it (unfortunately it no longer has the original trans) with virtually zero miles. the story behind the car is that he was paid for a job he did with the car. he resold the car to another guy on payments. the guy could no longer make the payments so he gave the car back. but while he had the car he started a "resto" on it with the new int. and trans. my buddy tells the car is a Shelby Royale, which is a car i've never heard of, but apparently is licensed and legal to carry the shelby name. they were built by a guy in vegas that had licensing to use the shelby badging. have any of you guys heard of this kind of mustang before? what would a car like this be worth? any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated. the guy that owns the car is very trustworthy guy that is a "car guy" himself with numerous cars that he's restored personally. he just does not want this car anymore and has no further interest in restoring cars. he did say, that he no longer has the documentation to support the Shebly Royale story. it does have "Shelby Royale" in pinstripe lettering on the sides of the car.

whatchyall think????????? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

not sure about it being shelby and a mach 1(im far from an expert though), cleveland motors really arent the ideal motor (harder to find parts for) but checking a VIN never hurts and pics

The '71-73 cars really get a bad rap since people act like the Mustang ended production after '69-70. They got really big and really slow (compared to the older cars) because of emissions and gas prices. That said, they can be really badass cars with the right things done to them.

I personally think the '71 Boss 351 was the most under rated Mustang from the old days. The car was big and emissions choked the engine down, but the Boss 351 would flat out DESTROY a Boss 302. They were essentially the same engine (same heads, same cam) except the 351 obviously trumped the 302 in cubes and torque. It didn't have the racing pedigree that the 302 had and so it gets left out when people talk about legendary Ford engines.

eh, its not nearly my favorite but id say top 15....they can be made to look good and perform decently well, problem being they are pretty much land yachts.

It used to be that if you wanted to make real power, you either swapped a Cleveland or you built a Clevor (Cleveland heads on a Windsor block for you noobs out there). That was back when you couldn't browse through 10 different AFR heads or Trick Flow or Dart or whoever. Now that the aftermarket is so strong, there's less of a need to build a Cleveland unless you're restoring or just want to be different. Parts are harder to find but they're out there, and they are more expensive. There are swap headers and oil pans to drop a Cleveland right into a Fox if you wanted.

other than the heads, is there any difference in blocks between the big windsor and the cleveland? is the bore and stroke any different, physical size, etc?? would there be any benefit to building a cleveland over a windsor?

thanx for the input so far. i've tried researching the Shelby Royale online and have come up with ZIP! i may call Shelby today and see if anyone over there will talk to me. if i get over to where the car is parked i'll snap a couple of pics but it's not looking too promising :shrug:

Physically they're different....parts don't interchange between them. The Clevor build requires a special intake to work with the heads. I'm no engine builder so i can't say if there's some kid of rod to stroke advantage with a Cleveland...but suffice to say that history has almost made them obsolete compared to the Windsor...there must be a reason for that (other than the fact that Ford stopped using them in production cars). If they were superior from a performance standpoint as compared to current Windsor combos, you'd surely see more aftermarket companies developing new parts for them.

IIRC, if its a 4V, all it takes is a cam and a carb to make really good power. The 4V engines had big cylinder heads and high compression, which makes for a pretty decent combo with just a few mods. The 2V motors on the other hand, weren't so great.

Some Clevelands had 4-bolt mains, which made for a pretty tough block, but those are really rare.

That's about all I know about Clevelands, haha.

Like mentioned above, cleveland motors can be made into beasts, but it will cost you more compared to the plentiful windsors out there. I had a 71 mach 1 for a few years, some people love them, others hate them. If the car is sound, they are very nice driving vehicles (cruising wise), but they're really big, many blind spots, and very heavy cars.

I remember there being three 351's back in the day- the cleveland, the windsor and the modified. I had a '73 ranchero with a 351 cleveland. Someone before my ownership did some work to it and let me tell ya, That thing would haul a$$!!

One problem with mine, maybe others was when I started to luanch the car hard at the strip w/ slicks, my rear quarters began to crease on both sides due to flexing. I did NOT have a cage or other support/structure mods (street car). Those cars have huge sheetmetal panels in the rear quarter/glass area which is possibly why mine creased so fast. They were verticle creases from the top of the wheel well opening straight up to the glass and VERY noticeable.