72 Fastback restoration

Hawkk72

Dec 13, 2006
My 72 has a lot of bubbling above the wheel well areas on both sides. Is it best to repair by replacing the entire quarter panels or just cut good metal from a replacement panel and repair only the affected area? I want to keep the car as original as possible so would replacing the entire quarter panel hurt the value? Also, which would be easiest for a body man (and cheapest for me)?

• Sponsors (?)

Just an opinion, but I would say saving the quarters is more a personal preference than anything. I haven't seen depressed values based upon full quarter replacements vs only patching. Quarters are usually pretty expensive to have replaced, but aren't that hard to do if you have any welding experience.

How close to the well? You might need out wheel houses too. We did anyway-we went with a new skin due to excessive prior repairs from collision damage, and had to replace the housing on the drivers side. We did the whole deal on the pass side-had a quarter and inner/outer wheel houses from another car grafted in. As far as cost, ask the guy you choose-some might also not want to try a small patch, knowing there could be more issues hindin outside of the patch area that they find while cutting...