73 couger w/ 351c

Se7enine

Jul 10, 2006
Bakersfield
73 cougar w/ 351c

I was scouting out the local yard Friday and found a clean 351c with a Auto in a 73 cougar. My question is how much out of the engine bay can I use, radiator , shifter , manifolds, reservoir etc. for my 70 Mustang? I'm new to these classics and don't know whats compatible. I plan on taking the engine and tranny but not sure what else is an option to take. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

73 351C

the engine is the same though in 1973 the 351C is smogged out with 8.5 to 1 compression compared to 11 to 1 in 1970.
Check the heads on this engine, they could be either 2 Barrel (2V) or 4 Barrel heads (4V). This can be told by looking at the front corner of the drivers side head, there will be either a 2 or a 4in the corner near the valve cover. Preference would be for a 4V set of heads, for max performance. I have a set I'll sell if you need them.
Alot of the peripherals, powersteering pump, Rad, Air Cleaner, etc all changed when the Mustang was re-designed in 1971.
You can use the engine, maybe the shifter, the tranny is good, manifolds are good, resevoir is a no go.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I've owned & built both 70's & 71-73 Mustang 351C engines, so I'm well versed in them.
Mach1steve