8" Subs in doors?

larrendeuce

Sep 13, 2003
Southern NJ
I'm pretty sure I can fit them with some modifications. What I want to discuss is what other speakers to use up front. Since the largest location in the door will be occupied where can I put the midbass drivers? I thought about kick panels, but I don't want a powerful magnet right up next to the EEC IV. Would a 4" size in the dash give decent sound? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Trust me, dont do it man. There is a reason that you normally dont see subs in the doors, it just doesnt sound that good. You will have so many rattles, it would be insane. Just my $0.02

I used to run 2 component speaker setups in my bronco. 6 3/4" up front and 5 1/4" in the rear both with 3/4" tweeters, powered by an alpine 40x4 amp. There wasn't enough bass up front. Before I sink money into the mustang I want to get some opinions.

MyEarsHurt said:
Trust me, dont do it man. There is a reason that you normally dont see subs in the doors, it just doesnt sound that good. You will have so many rattles, it would be insane. Just my $0.02

I hope to minimize that with the crossover settings and some dynamat. I'm looking for 6x9 like bass, nothing car shaking.

With a decent system you can't tell if the bass is coming from the front of the car or the rear... just like home; a sub in the trunk would only be 6' away, max. My sub in home theatre is more like 15' from seating and sounds like it comes from the front center. Get yourself a decent sub and amp, then all you need is 1/2 decent components for front and/or rear. IMO

and, btw, the shaking and rattles come from cabin resonance: when sound waves are the same length as the cabin dimensions, all h**l breaks (or rattles) loose. Try toning down the frequency response between 80Hz and 150Hz with a decent equalizer. You'll still get the low bass (which audibly is 20Hz) but maybe less rattle.

I've had a single 12" sub in my first car, and 3 10" subs in the bronco. One thing that I started to notice after having car audio setups over the years is frequency response. After adding a sub to coaxials it over powers the upper frequency range and I lost musical detail. Installing the subs to a good component system with proper power I couldn't hear midbass anymore.

I want something that is going to sound better then what I've had before. Right now I run pioneer 6 1/2" coaxials in the doors and 6x8" coaxials in the back, powered by the head unit. Not suprisingly the Bose system in my Pathfinder sounds better. More bass, and the soundstage is in front and up high. The subs in the doors might not be the best idea. I haven't tried it before so I don't know how it will sound. Can you think of alternatives?

I still think you just need a cleanly powered sub in the trunk; if you amp it separately you can cut the output and it won't overpower your satellite coaxes. You may need a decent equalizer (by decent I mean one that tailors frequency response more than it adds noise). Lots of options available.

Ok, what do you think of my first sound setup for the car. Made this list before I became obsessive. :rlaugh:

MB quart 6.5" RCE-216 components
MB quart 6x8" DKE-168 components
JL Audio 300/4 amp

MTX 6000 series 10" sub (just happen to have)
JL audio 250/1 amp

Do a 6.5" or an 8" up UNDER the dash. It'll be a PITA to install, but you'll never see it again, bass will be upfront, and noone will want to steal it. I suggest using Adire KODA 6 for this application (or similar driver). You could also put one of those Focal 5" subs in the center console.

Infinity02Zinc said:
Do a 6.5" or an 8" up UNDER the dash. It'll be a PITA to install, but you'll never see it again, bass will be upfront, and noone will want to steal it. I suggest using Adire KODA 6 for this application (or similar driver). You could also put one of those Focal 5" subs in the center console.

Thats such a clever idea...never would have thought of that...

Let me rephrase- INSIDE the dash. There's plenty of space, especially if you remove some ductwork for vents and replace it with flexible hose (very easy to do.). Look under your dash at the space behind your glovebox. Use it for even a small sealed 10", or at least an 8.

Infinity02Zinc said:
Let me rephrase- INSIDE the dash. There's plenty of space, especially if you remove some ductwork for vents and replace it with flexible hose (very easy to do.). Look under your dash at the space behind your glovebox. Use it for even a small sealed 10", or at least an 8.

Won't this cause more vibrations and rattles than putting the subs in the door? :shrug: