85 mph cluster to 140 mph cluster swap

• Sponsors (?)

Going by your member name, I assume you have an '87. What model year is the 140 MPH cluster from? If you don't know that, tell me if the bottom of the cluster is flat across or curved in the center.

_JB_ said:
It should fit right in, if it's a real 140.
It's not quite that simple. You have to know which cluster you're working with first.

There are two styles of clusters: '87-'89 (flat on the bottom, w/o airbag) and '90-'93 (concave on the bottom, w/ airbag). You cannot just plug a '90-'93 style cluster into an '87-'89 dash and expect all the gauges and lights to work correctly. The harnesses must be repinned. Or you can swap speedometers but some modifications to the speedometer itself and the housing must be done. Or you can exchange the 'guts' of the speedometers. Again, that requires (obviously) modifications.

The only 'Plug-n-Play' 140 MPH clutser for an '87-'89 dash is an '87-early '89 SSP cluster or a late '89 (non SSP) cluster. Late '89 SSP clusters had a 160 MPH speedometer (they are also P-n-P.) If the cluster in question is from an '89 GT or non SSP 5.0L LX (flat on bottom, w/o airbag) then yes, it will plug right in.

You can just take the speedo off the cluster. It's attached by 2 bolts. Then put that speedo in your old cluster, you would just have to get 140 MPH white face gauge. I used a fork to get the needles off mine.

thanks!

its out of an 87 also. i figured i got a hella good deal. It was some older lady working the counter so she probably didnt know what it was worth.plus they were all dusty from sitting in the car with the windows down so it made them look crappy. took like 5 min to make them look new. thanks for the info guys!
:hail2:

FoxChasis said:
140 MPH speedometers didn't debut in non SSP Mustangs until Oct of '88 ('89 model year). '87 Mustangs didn't have a 140 MPH speedometer originally.

My 160 fit right in my 85 cluster. I changed the speedometer part and they fit right in. The guy I bought it from said it was for 87-89 Stangs.

Now if I could find somewhere to calibrate 160 speedos...

If a 160 MPH speedometer is for '87-'89, it was from a late '89 SSP Mustang (says CERTIFIED CALIBRATION on the bottom) or it's a very rare FMS SVO (says FORD Motorsport on the bottom) unit.

And unless the factory calibartion is off, it shouldn't need any calibration done to it. Speedometers are PnP.

TrophyHead said:
You can just take the speedo off the cluster. It's attached by 2 bolts. Then put that speedo in your old cluster, you would just have to get 140 MPH white face gauge. I used a fork to get the needles off mine.

That's how i did mine.

DOn't swap the cluster, just swap the speedo.

If you are careful, you can transfer the stock 140MPH gauge face to your old 85MPh clear plastci bezel. after you peel and trash the 85mph FACE

super302 said:
umm...wouldn't you need to have it calculated, if you just plug it in wouldn't it say your goin 130 when your only goin 80??

No because he's swapping the speedo. This is where the calculation is.

Speedorear.jpg

When you pull the cluster apart, this is your speedo. This is what is calibrated for 85 or 140MPH. All you gotta do is swap these and then put a face on.

mob said:
where did u get that 160mph cluster?? what did u do to recalibrate it??

I bought it off of E-Bay for about $120 after shipping. I still have to get it calibrated beacuse as you can see, the needle is not even on 0. It said I was going about 40 MPH when I was going 20-30 MPH. I got a hold of someone around here and he said he would get back to me about calibrating it. I'm running the 85 MPH one right now.

chris87lx, someone may have swapped the cluster out. Just because it doesn't have a 85MPH speedo doesn't mean it's not a 87.

..sorry I could not figure out the answer to my question I have...can someone point me in teh right direction?

I swaped the entire guage cluser from the 85 to teh 140 mph on a 93. (I did a 4cyl swap both my 4 banger and donor car is 93)

the cluster fit perfectly, and my tach is perfect and my speedo works, but reads too fast (I think 60 mph is 40 or something like that)

..but I changed the whole thing

What did I miss? Did I need to change teh actual speedometer cable too? or can a shop calibrate it?