86-87 Mustang rear end

dabest2k

Feb 15, 2004
Hi guys, Im in the UK and have just recently bought an 87 mustang GT with some rear axle damage...Basically the half shafts have been replaced and the brakes all rebuilt etc...However I need a new limited slip diff.I have found a complete 86 mustang rear end with axle, brakes etc. However i need to know whether or not the diff is the same on an 86 or 87 - will this diff from the 86 just go straight in replace of my knackered one on my 87?? I know the 87 mustang uses a 8.8" rear end but is this the same on the 86 ? What are the splines on each car are they the same? I've heard myne is 31 is this correct? Cheers for any help people - most appreciated..

Paul.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks a lot - thats cleared up the issue for me. It's a great help ! - You can imagaine how hard it is to find any help on mustangs in the UK. Everyone's into crappy 1.6-2 liter rubbish over here :notnice:

:flag: rulez

Hey there Iron medic ! :) I'm in Daventry in Northamptonshire - bout 20 mins from either Rugby/Northampton. Whereabouts are you ? sounds like you are at mildenhall air base or something ?