89 GT for 1000

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
I've been thinking about getting this 89 GT. It was for sale for 3k obo, but within the last two weeks he blew the motor.... He's now selling it for 1k obo. Already had a carfax done, it has a clean title. No accidents reported but as you can see in the photos, appears to have body work. He said it has some bondo. Also would need paint eventually. Guy says interior is a 7 out of 10. Has a sunroof, about 150xxx miles, unsure about the tranny condition. On the driver's side rear looks like theres a dent that needs repair- can anyone tell me how to fix that? How much it would be? Heres the link to the pics, let me know what you guys think. I thought it would make a fun project. Start building a nice motor for it or something.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/14177924@N03/q02KkV

• Sponsors (?)

I would offer $700-$800 for it. Looks like it can be a real nice car. You need to be willing to put in the wrench time.

Get the drivetrain the way you want. Work on the interior and then send it off for body work and paint. My first real project was a 88 Gt with t-tops that I purchased from the original owner. Motor was shot, interior was dirty and smelled like smoke, paint was faded and body had usual dings around it. Redid the whole car with the help of some friends and it turned out to be awsome.

Good luck if you purchase it.

Doesnt look bad for 1000 bucks, but i would try to give him like 800 cash. Is it a five speed or auto? If the interior is fairly clean and nothing is destroyed i would go for it. as long as your looking for a project. You could always get a 5.0 explorer junkyard engine for like 500 bucks or so, swap all the brackets and buy a cam, for under 700 you could have a gt 40 engine that would move pretty good.

Looks like it had rust problems and they tried to fix it......hopefully they did it right. Your best bet is to find one with little or no rust. You can buy a rust bucket cheap but then you'll be dumping money into something thats just rotting away, basically polishing a turd.

Looks pretty good from that distance, just check the door jambs and under the cowl vent for rust. If thats good IMO it will be a great project for 800-1000.

I'd look at it as a rolling chassis, really. The motor is shot, and I would be willing to bet that if the tranny isn't already, then it probably isn't too far behind in death, either.

Forgetting that the tranny and motor are even there, you then may as well look at it like this: Is the rolling chassis worth $1,000? If so ... grab it.

FWIW, I've seen a lot of rust-free Foxes down here that are still in running condition with decent bodies that go between $1,500 that would be good build-up projects.