Roush 89 saleen steering wheel question

I have a question about my 89 saleen steering wheel. I have the momo, and the word momo is stamped in the leather. But I just bought a momo from an 89 on ebay and the word momo is stamped in the metal right above where mine is stamped in the leather. So what is the deal with this, are they different years or something? I need to replace my steering wheel because it has a hole on the top of it from use, but I kinda want the factory to that car steering wheel. :shrug:
I found another one to buy so I will have three, but these things are frickin expensive.

• Sponsors (?)

The wheels with the Momo stamped in the leather is an original Momo Veloce Wheel, it is the correct wheel for your car.
The ones that are stamped in the metal spoke part of the wheel is a Momo Monte Carlo Wheel, which you can buy brand new,right now, it is very similar to the Veloce.
Hope this helps you out!

Bill

The wheels with the Momo stamped in the leather is an original Momo Veloce Wheel, it is the correct wheel for your car.
The ones that are stamped in the metal spoke part of the wheel is a Momo Monte Carlo Wheel, which you can buy brand new,right now, it is very similar to the Veloce.
Hope this helps you out!

Bill

Ok thanks, yea that helped me out alot. Because the wheel that I bought off ebay is the wrong wheel for my car. So maybe I will keep mine and see if that hole can get filled and get the wheel redone.

Sorry to dispute you Bill, but that is not correct. The Veloce wheel and Monte Carlo wheel difference has nothing to do with where it was stamped. They are two totally different design wheels. The Veloce (original on Foxbody Saleen 87-89) is perfectly round shape where as the Monte Carlo wheel has two larger areas at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel. This was offered in the Saleen catalog as a replacement for the Veloce wheel. Now to the "Momo" lettering stamped in the leather or the metal, this was merely a Momo design change during their production run. Some Saleens got the one stamped on the metal and others got it stamped in the leather. My original wheel on my gray 87 Saleen has it stamped on the metal. I know it is the original wheel as I am the 4th owner and I have talked to all 3 previous owners about the car. I've checked over many of the 87-89 cars and have gotten both designs as the wheel in their Saleen.

If you replace your wheel with one stamped in either place, as long as it is a Veloce wheel, you will be fine.

Ok thanks, yea that helped me out alot. Because the wheel that I bought off ebay is the wrong wheel for my car. So maybe I will keep mine and see if that hole can get filled and get the wheel redone.

Hi Bottledfed... there's some good info here, but to clarify there are "Veloce" wheels with both versions of the stamp. Some "Veloces" have the metal spoke stamped, some have the leather. Same goes for the "Monte Carlo."

I've had various manufactured dates for both wheels… maybe there’s a trend… maybe it’s just what I’ve had… but my early eighties wheels had the spoke stamped and my late eighties wheels had the logo on the leather.

I believe some ‘86 Saleen owners will say their metal spokes are stamped.

Oh, you can never have too many steering wheels...:nice:

Good luck!

i have had both these wheels & i actually looked at several pics of Saleens awhile back trying to figure this out (yeah i was bored but love these little details). all the 87 Saleens i have ever seen all had them stamped in the metal spoke. some 88 had them in the spoke & others on the leather & all the 89 Saleens i have ever seen all had them in the leather. there was a transition in style around 88 i now believe so either wheel is just fine to use.

i have had both these wheels & i actually looked at several pics of Saleens awhile back trying to figure this out (yeah i was bored but love these little details). all the 87 Saleens i have ever seen all had them stamped in the metal spoke. some 88 had them in the spoke & others on the leather & all the 89 Saleens i have ever seen all had them in the leather. there was a transition in style around 88 i now believe so either wheel is just fine to use.

OK thats cool, thanks. I think the momo wheel I just bought off ebay was from you.

wow LOL, small world. actually i couldnt decide which one i wanted to sell on Ebay at first. i had both different Momos in my hand with the momo stamped in different locations. i decided to keep the one with it in the leather & let the other one live in someone elses car instead of living in a box in my parts storage.

wow LOL, small world. actually i couldnt decide which one i wanted to sell on Ebay at first. i had both different Momos in my hand with the momo stamped in different locations. i decided to keep the one with it in the leather & let the other one live in someone elses car instead of living in a box in my parts storage.

Well If you decide to give up the other one I will trade you for it. If it is in good shape. lol

Just for reference... here is a Momo Monte Carlo.. close, but definitely not the same as the original..

momo_front.jpg