Suspension 90 convertible cross brace rivet loose.

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Hi everyone,

This is my first convertible, I've been trying to track down a front end clunk noise that gets really loud over bumps.

I haven't narrowed it down to this, but it's definitely loud if I push up on the tubular bar that attaches to this area where the rivet's are.

Can I replace this rivet? Is there a better option?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20230721_160106942.jpg
    IMG_20230721_160106942.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230721_160119480.jpg
    IMG_20230721_160119480.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Sponsors (?)

All day long. Not sure what the size is but it could be one of those 1/4” ones like on the windows. Hopefully it’s a 3/16” or smaller and a standard River gun will work.

I got a rivet gun from Harbor Freight that does 1/4” and it’s run off an air compressor.

Reactions: 1 user
All day long. Not sure what the size is but it could be one of those 1/4” ones like on the windows. Hopefully it’s a 3/16” or smaller and a standard River gun will work.

I got a rivet gun from Harbor Freight that does 1/4” and it’s run off an air compressor.
I don't have a rivet gun so I'll have to buy one. I just drill out the old one correct?

Correct. Typically you can use a drill bit that is larger than the hole and just drill the head off the rivet. Once that is down you use a punch and hammer to remove the body of the rivet.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Correct. Typically you can use a drill bit that is larger than the hole and just drill the head off the rivet. Once that is down you use a punch and hammer to remove the body of the rivet.
I have found if you have the right size punch, its easier to hammer out the pin, then drill the head off....
How well does that air powered rivet gun work? TY

Reactions: 1 user
Works really well. One of my friends races sprint cars and he bought one to put all the body panels on the chassis and to make repairs on the wings. He said it worked good and that sold me. I’ve only used it on the big 1/4” rivets like the door glass but so far it works well.

Works really well. One of my friends races sprint cars and he bought one to put all the body panels on the chassis and to make repairs on the wings. He said it worked good and that sold me. I’ve only used it on the big 1/4” rivets like the door glass but so far it works well.

TY for the response... The reviews had alot of " old men" saying their loss of hand strength made purchasing this a necessity... I think I fit that description... LOL

Reactions: 1 users