'90 LX - what colour are + & - speaker wires?

belewmoon

Jul 7, 2003
Annapolis, MD
'90 LX Coupe. 4 speaker system. Cut the dash speaker wires before I realized I didn't know which wire was + or -. Could someone please tell me what wires are + and - for both the dash and rear deck speakers?

Before you go there, I already know about the speaker wire convertors for Ford specific connections you can buy at Best Buy/Circuit city for like $6!

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know for sure, you sorta have yourself in a pickle, but not real bad. Look for pairs of similar colors, for example in my stang the rear speakers had purple wiring, one purple, one purple with a black stripe (-), and the front were green, one green and one green with black stripe(-). 9 times out of 10, the red or yellow is power source, all black is ground, and orange is dimmer, and blue with white stripe is for an amp. If you can get these wires out of the way, you could try to wire it, and then just go to like best buy and get a cd with a sound test on it, something that says "front left, front right, rear left, rear right, " in the corresponding speaker, then you know you have it right or you screwed up....hope this helps...good luck

I have bought but not installed the door speakers or the rear deck speakers yet. When I install the rear speakers I will buy the Ford wire connectors from BB or CC. I have only installed the dash speakers so far.

You have a '98. I wonder how much wire colours have changed from 90 to 98? I found this on another Stang board. This sounds like my wire colour scheme:
------------------------------------------
Right Rear Negative(-) - Green/Orange
Right Rear Positive(+) - Pink/Blue

Right Front Negative(-) - Blue/White
Right Front Positive(+) - White/Green

Left Rear Negative(-) - Blue/Orange
Left Rear Positive(+) - Pink/Green

Left Front Negative(-) - Green/Orange
Left Front Positive(+) - Orange/Green

On wires with dual colors (color1/color2), the first color is the color of the wire and the second color is the color of a stripe running down two sides of the wire.
------------------------------------------

The 12volt link is not working.

My dash wires are colour coded (sitting in driver's seat):
left front - blue w/white stripe and orange w/green stripe
right front - green w/orange stripe and white w/lime stripe

Does anyone know which are positive and which are negative?

For the rears I am going to buy the clip convertors from Best Buy/Circuit City.

Great site! It mentions that Ford does not consistently use the same wire configurations. Just great!!

I checked the stock wiring section, the configuration listed does not match my config. However, I went to a 94-99 install wiring diagram & it seems to match my wire colours! Go figure!

Thanks for the info.