91 AOD wont shift out of 1st

ZelenVR

Founding Member
May 30, 1999
Boise, ID
This is for a buddy of mine who is internet-less and new to the Mustang scene so I'm unable to provide pics or up-to-the-minute feedback, but wanted to bounce this off of everyone.

Friday night he said he went stomp on it and it hesitated on him when downshifting and checked it later to find that the shift linkage was off the TB. Reconnected it and now it wont shift out of 1st. He also just replaced the speedo gear to compensate for the gears in the diff and hasnt checked the clip on it to see if it has broken/fell off yet though. He's run the shifter all though the gears and no hang ups or snags. Fluids are good.
Any thoughts??

Thanks all

• Sponsors (?)

I'm assuming you mean to check the adjustment on it, thats kinda what I had thought too. He has a Haynes manual but I'm not sure if it says how to adjust it or what it should be adjusted to, assuming this is the culprit. Do you know what the specs are for that or where I can find them?

My first thought was that he had already burned out the 'clutch packs' in the tranny from driving around w/o the linkage, this had happened to me on a previous Mustang I had. But in that instance the tranny wouldnt DOWNshift when it was off and when I discovered it and put it back on it shifted fine, although the OD gear was gone by then and a rebuild soon followed. Hoping this aint the case though.

Thanks macx, lots of good stuff on there. I think I found what I'm looking for, now I just need to hope it works!! Actually my buddy needs to hope it works, its his car, not mine this time!! :D