91 GT fox overheating

• Sponsors (?)

Phones are for FB. FB is overrun by Russian trolls.

My headers glow cherry red, what gives?
This is usually caused by two things. Either you are running real lean (not enough fuel) or your timing is too late (retarded). A lean cylinder makes a lot more heat and causes the headers to heat-up beyond their normal temperatures, thus causing them to glow. Late (retarded) timing will do the same thing because the fire in the cylinder is still burning when the exhaust valve is opening and the fire goes out into the headers, causing them to glow.

Run a compression test to see if an exhaust valve is not closing all the way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I have to wait couple days to do a compression test, in the mean timetime I was wondering, before I put this motor in I removed the egr tube off the back of the motor and installed plugs in the back of the heads, I still have the egr on the TB and plugged in, I also have no vacuume connected to the egr, I've read that egr is exhaust,gas recirculation, to help cool pistons and such. So would having the egr on the TB plugged in with no vacuum cause my headers to get red hot as well, and also the valve covers?

I've checked all my grounds for the 0bd1 scanner, everything is good clean and tight, the scanner still reads 000 after it makes the motor make all the weird noises, maybe the scanner I got is faulty. I have to wait for my exchange to come in.

Also I checked the HEGO ground and is secure as well, their are two diff ECU in the car the original A9L is unhooked im guessing because it would no longer operate or turn on fuel pump, I plugged it in yesterday and it would not fire the motor, so I plugged back in the A9S.

Lol sorry it didn't send, so after checking all my grounds 4 times and cleaning all ground connectors I checked the fuse again such by the way is the fuse for the gauges, I pulled the fuse out it was good still, when I put it back in it didn't feel right, the connectors to the fuse were pushed in and not making contact.

23 code is throttle position sensor signal out of range, so i guess from a video I watched I need a volt meter to adjust the signal, and seems how I'm running an explorer intake and plenum with factory TB I'm guessing I need to find the correct setting for this setup?

There is a sht ton of info in the 5.0 technical/how to threads here just waiting for someone to need them,
Tag, your it!
There are instructions on setting your base idle, how to set your tps, and just about anything else, they are proven methods and done by people that have experience with this type of system, and when in doubt, just ask the members