92 4cyl swap to 95 gt parts

inphiniti

Mar 15, 2003
Providence, RI
i posted this in the 5.0 tech area, and i didnt get too much answers... so i figured id copy/paste it here to see if anyone has any ideas? i typed this last nite, i was pretty tired so hopefully this is worded correctly...:nice:

i had just a few questions if you all dont mind answering for me or sharing some knowledge!

anyway, here goes the questions!

i have a 92lx notch. its a 4cyl auto. i currently have a stock 95 gt that will be getting a somewhat of a overhaul hopefully this winter with a TFS top end w/ a CHP 306 bottom end, beefed up AODE and if i can get my hands on one, a new edge rear end...

my question is... if i drop in the notch my current stock 5.0 motor from my 95, what will i need to make the motor run in the notch?

also will my AODE work in the car? if not will an AOD from a 91 gt bolt up to a 95 5.0? and how about the rear end? brake set up? sorry for all the questions!!

any help would be GREATLY appreciated guys! thank you in advance to everyone that does.

• Sponsors (?)

my question is... if i drop in the notch my current stock 5.0 motor from my 95, what will i need to make the motor run in the notch?
You will definately need to beef up the front suspension. Stronger/better springs, shocks etc.
I would also imagine you need the engine harness from the 5.0 along with some things like motor mounts.

also will my AODE work in the car? if not will an AOD from a 91 gt bolt up to a 95 5.0? and how about the rear end? brake set up?
The AODE should work in the 92 as it is just a computer controlled version of the AOD. But, again, you will need the harness. The only thing I can see causing it to not fit would be if the 'bell housing' is too big; I do not know for sure.

You should also get an 8.8 rear end, either from a Mustang or other like a Turbo Coupe T-Bird I think had them??? You COULD get away with running drum brakes in the back, but I would definately upgrade the front brakes to maybe some Stainless Steel Brake Corp. kits. On a side note, a good brake kit will need a 5 lug swap.

If nothing else, hopefully this will help you along in your decision making. Good luck.

my big thing is i want to take this 95 5.0 and put it in this car.. i already have a AOD out of a 91 gt i believe it is... but i also have an extra AODE from my car, so wasnt sure if it was usable or not(not really sure which is better, if any) i eventually down the line would definitely upgrade to a 5 lug and throw some modern day cobra brakes and some big rotors on the car...

im just puzzled because i REALLY dont know where to start my research, i figured id catch a few guys around here who have possibly done the conversion...

what is the big difference between a fox 5.0 motor and a 94-95 5.0 motor? what harness/computer will i need for this build, would i need a 1992 harness/computer for a 5.0 or would any do?

how much of a PITA is this project going to be? LOL

thanks btw, earleys!

what is the big difference between a fox 5.0 motor and a 94-95 5.0 motor? what harness/computer will i need for this build, would i need a 1992 harness/computer for a 5.0 or would any do?
The motors themselves are nearly the same, save for the EGR on the Fox is at the throttle body and on the 95 it's at the passenger header. The intake manifolds are different. The Fox motor has a pulley driven fan, whereas the 95's fan is electric. Little stuff like that.

The Fox CPU and the SN-95 CPU are different. I want to say the 95's is EEC-V, and the Fox is EEC-IV. Basically, the 95 has a faster, more involved(and finicky) CPU. I would say, if you put the 95 motor in the Fox you could either change the CPU or you could do things like a Fox TB conversion to make it compatible. But I do not know for sure.

Look here for some swap info. Fox Engine Swaparoo - Mustang Forums at StangNet