92 notch, 339rwhp, need more, ideas

mikeaaron33

May 31, 2010
WA
hi i'm new here. i bought this thing off ebay, 92' notch 351W 9.5:1
took it to a shop an dyno'd, got 339rwhp at 6500rpm. it seems to like the higher rpms. they suggested i bolt on a vortech, so i started looking at the s/c's and i'm thinkin vortech ysi kit. the shop said run about 6-9lbs boost an you'll be okay. i was thinking i wanted around 500rwhp, and seems like most the cars on the inet that are running s/c had over 12lbs boost to get over 500rwhp.
can my 351w handle that boost and on pump gas? i really wanna keep this thing on pump gas and still get 500rwhp.. :/

also they said my clutch is slipping, it seems like it doesnt quite fully engage into gear at higher rpms or something, or maybe thats my tires spinning at 60mph, but i dunno. should i purchase that centerforce dual friction dealio??

ideas, help, suggestions?? much appreciated. oh i want this car to be a street pounder, but maybe take to the track a few times just to see what it can do down 1/4, out of curiousity.

(i put as much info as i know about the car in my garage details)

Attachments

• !B0E(JlQEGk~$(KGrHqQOKnEEw9FtdZVWBMYu,6MimQ~~_3.jpg
    !B0E(JlQEGk~$(KGrHqQOKnEEw9FtdZVWBMYu,6MimQ~~_3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 101
  • !B0EWJW!BGk~$(KGrHqYOKjQE)UfLJHN+BMYuYD14mw~~_3.jpg
    !B0EWJW!BGk~$(KGrHqYOKjQE)UfLJHN+BMYuYD14mw~~_3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Sponsors (?)

You should start with the details of the engine.
What heads, intake and cam?
Appears to be vortech/saleen intake by the pics.

If the clutch is slipping, likely the dyno numbers aren't accurate either.

The heads make all the power on a NA 351.
I certainly wouldn't go jumping into an SC just of yet.

Id like to know the entire combo as well, however that lower intake is choking the motor the truck lower is junk without about $1000 or more worth of work done to it. It needs a lot of welding and porting.....the Saleen upper needs a little work as well, Holley fixed the issues they had by releasing the SysteMAX II.

No matter what pulley set-up you put on a YSI youll be hard pressed to make less then 12-16psi.

thx for input guys, sorry i dont know much about the motor, just going off what the guy said :/

351W 9.5:1
255 BBK Fuel Pump
36 lb Injectors
MSD 6AL Box, Distributor, Coil
Hooker Long Tube 1 5/8 Headers
Edlebrock Victor Jr Heads
1.6 Roller Rockers
Ford Motorsport Xcam 580 lift
Chrysler Hemi Dual Electric Cooling Fans
Fluidyne Radiator
Ford Motorsport Ignition Cables
Keith Black Pistons
Trick Flow 90mm Intake
Accufab 90mm Throttle Body
90mm Air Intake Tube

thats about all i know, it sounds like a beast, it keeps setting my truck alarm off in the driveway...

i'm 25mi into a new centerforce dual friction clutch, it drives a ton better now. the guy showed me the old clutch, he's like ya bro, this thing is gone, yer down to nothing. so i guess i ran that dyno with a near dead clutch, doh. i'm thinkin a new dyno.... :/

View attachment 206740

Peak HP is actually 342rwhp @ 5700rpm and peak TQ is 337rwtq @ 5300rpm. Something definitely isn't right with the combo 'cause there's a hole in the torque curve from 3300-5300rpm.