94 5.0L Cobra Owners come in

BlakeGT

Jul 8, 2004
Missouri
Hello,
I need your all's help on my project. I have a 94 Cobra with the 5.0L with 169,000 miles on it. Can i buy a stroker kit to forge the internals or do i have to get a whole new shortblock from places like DSS. My project will get the horsepower up to around 700hp. The shortblocks are just so expensive because then you need new heads,and cams. I want to know if the block, even though it has 169,000 miles on it, if it can handle the power with out splitting or anything? Your advice is MUCH appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Is there anything i can add now. I am a little scared with the mileage at this point to add anything else. I want to get a new block or internals right now. But for a 700hp rated short block it is like $6,000 Any suggestions were to buy or anything?

Call and talk to a shop, they can really help you out. You aren't gonna get away cheap trying to hold 700 HP with a 302 block. You'll come out cheaper in the long run with a 351, Sportsman II or maybe a '69 block might hold at that power level if it doesn't see much track time.

Best bet is usually to buy your short block assembled unless you get a really good deal on all the parts. Machine work isn't cheap.

going 331 and turbo or supercharger up to 500rwhpyou can see some life out of it if its tuned well and you arent spinning the crap out of it. or it could break on the first trip on the street. like said, a new block is in order to support that level of power.