94-98 "Waffle Star" or other "painted" wheel owners, I have a question

FastGT94

Nov 20, 2003
NW Burbs, IL
My 16" waffle stars have seen better days, their gloss has diminished and brake dust and other elements now stick to them and "stain" them to an extent.

Since the finish was already shot, I took an SOS pad (VERY LIGHTLY) to them the other day to get rid of the remaining discoloration.

Now I'm left with beautifully brillant silver wheels again, but without the gloss they once had. (Center caps are glossy and wheels definitely aren't).

What I'm wondering is if there is some way to refresh / renew the shine that they had from the factory. Were these wheels clear coated? Can I use a buffer on them in a similar way one would a car finish and renew the shine?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'd like to get the shine back in these wheels, even if they are the ugly stockers.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My cobra r's were chrome and it peeled so I sand blasted them and shot them with silver paint and then a clear coat on top of that. They turned out pretty nice,(looked real good from about 10 feet) I dont have them anymore since I bought a set of 10th annv this year.

Did the clear coat hold up and not peel? I have seen this newer paint from Dupli-Color that is supposed to be good for wheels, it looks nice but I don't know how it will hold up to the heat and chemicals.

I painted my Ponies on my 83... All I did was rough up the wheels with some fine grit sand paper, cleaned them real good with prep (like paint thinner) and then shot them with Silver Wheel Paint I got from Autozone. Then I clear coated them. Worked AWESOME... They cleaned SO easy with soap and water, as the brake dust just wiped right off. The clear never peeled and they looked just like new. Go for it! :nice: