94 Cobra Hesitation/Stumble upon acceleration

MurderedCobra

Sep 18, 2009
Hey guys I have a 1994 cobra and I am having some problems the car intermittently will cut out when accelerationg its weird its like it stumbles and then comes back right away its a very annoying problem and I need to figure it out quick.

Also another problem I just started having is I have an aftermarket K&N cold air filter and for some reason when my car is idling it makes a really loud howling sound and I am stumped why its doing this.

• Sponsors (?)

As for the howling, do you have an aftermarket throttle body? I've heard of those doing stuff like that - a whistling noise.

For the stumbling, have you done anything recently, and when was the last tune-up?

Possibly time for a new fuel filter? I just had this happen on one of my cars. It would run fine under normal conditions, but when you got on it it would hesitate and stumble a bit before taking off. Replaced filter and as good as new.

its stock throttle body and the fuel filter was just changed. I just added e303 cam and trick flow intake but the car will idle fine and will run great in low rpms, as soon as i get on the gas it will lag really bad and backfires. Any suggestions possibly just need tuned?

Do you have the stock fuel injectors? if you swapped them for larger ones, the factory MAF isnt calibrated for them and the computer will be confused.

Even if not, It still sounds like an MAF sensor to me. You could try cleaning it with some electrical contact cleaner, I had to a few times on my 94 GT, but if cleaning it doesnt help, still doesnt rule it out.

other than that, just check the basics

like for cap and rotor wear, spark plug condition...etc

Oh, and make sure you installed the fuel filter in the right direction

Hope this helps

Sounds like a distributor problem to me, specifically a loose Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) sensor. I've had this surging problem on my 95 GT too, and traced it to a loose PIP. Ironically, the PIP on my car was a cobra part, as the GT part wasn't even similar. It started as an intermittant problem, then slowly progressed.

I'd start there. It's easy to check. I remember seeing pictorial directions on one of the mustang sites a while back.

I rebuilt my dizzy in a couple of hours. Just remember to mark everything so that you put it back together, and back into the car the exact same way that you took it out.

Let us know what you find out!