94 Pace car Fake?

There is a 94 Pace car on Ebay that has to be a fake. I may be wrong but I have been around Mustangs for 25 years and I feel like I know the 79's and up very well. It is not even a Cobra so there is no way it is a pace car. He is saying it is a festival car. Will someone please post a link to it, I don't know how. It is item# 4577706006

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know, I would believe that it is what it says it is, they do have a crap load of cars that drive around the track presenting the "elites" that came to the Indy race that year. I believe that the cars that went around the track were GT's and the ones that are the limited edition Pace Car (Cobra's) were the ones you could buy from a dealer. The Indy race that I went to had Corvettes, but not ZO6's, which is because of the additional expense/rarity issue I am sure. Bottom line, why spend $16K+ for a mid 15-sec auto '94 GT? Crazy if you ask me.

He never said it was a SVT Cobra or a Limited edition Pace Car, he said it was a car that carried people around at the Indy 500. I don't know for certain that there is any truth to that story, but I am pretty sure the cars that were actually in the race were not the Cobras.

I believe what the guy is selling may be the real thing, but you'd have to do a lot of research and documentation before buying it. I've seen on SVT sights where it says all 1994 Cobra converts were replicas. I also remember that the decals for the replicas were put on at the dealership and not by the factory. I also read where the ACTUAL pace cars used were 1994 GT's with AOD and a front Cobra bumper cover. So anything is possible.

I always thought that all the pace cars were cobras too, until I saw the pace car that CJ Pony Parts has on display at their shop. It is a GT convertible. I questioned it being a real pace car since it was a GT and they assured me it was. :shrug:

94mustanggt5.0---- In the first auction he stated that it was a Cobra and that it was number 31. Im with ILLwood, I would need some serious verification. The Ford dealership in my town had a yellow GT with the pace car stripe kit on it but that does not make it one. I would really like to know, this is pretty interesting. I'm not going to bash the guy because there seems to be some serious doubt.

cmozez said:
94mustanggt5.0---- In the first auction he stated that it was a Cobra and that it was number 31. Im with ILLwood, I would need some serious verification. The Ford dealership in my town had a yellow GT with the pace car stripe kit on it but that does not make it one. I would really like to know, this is pretty interesting. I'm not going to bash the guy because there seems to be some serious doubt.
Well, in that case I would definitely steer clear of that auction. I hate people who try to trick people into buying something that is not authentic. That's why you should never buy autographs, cars, etc. on e-Bay that are just too good to be true, unless they provide valid evidence.

The engine code on the VIN is not a cobra motor.

All convertible cobra's were indy pace cars in 94. And the intake pictured is a stock 5.0L intake. I can't say if the transitive property applies in the case though. Maybe there were some wierd cars used at the actual track. :shrug:

But he does clearly say in his auction that this is not a cobra, just a VIP pace car.....

Scott

I think it could be real. I remember maybe 4 years ago on ebay a guy having one over in naples. He listed it as a pace car and I thought hah scam its just a auto GT. However after seeing in one mustang book a long time ago a picture of a Parade car having the GT front tribar rims with the pony in the centercap painted black and knowing they were all Auto I thought maybe that guy was not a scam. Think about it, all real parade cars have to be auto. Why would ford take a cobra and put an auto in it. It would just make more sense to outfit a GT that is already an Auto with the stickers. Which is what I believe they did. however proving this is not something a google search can show, believe me I saw this post and have been looking. Believe what you want but I do believe the parade cars were GT's I remember that pic in the book and it does make sense. If this is a real one or not that I dont know, only documentation can prove that.

So here is what I know about the 1994 Ford Mustang Pace cars. Ford made 107 festival cars to be used during the month of May to transport “important” people around Indianapolis and were lastly used in the Festival parade for the Indianapolis 500. All 107 were red convertible GT’s, 5.0L engine, automatic transmission and 17” GT rims. Ford used Mustang GT’s because they didn’t have enough time to make that many cobra convertibles before May.

Ford also made a Cobra replica of the Pace Car that was sold at dealerships and they were all red Cobra convertibles but did not have the 17” GT rims, they had the Cobra rims. Hope this clears up any confusion.

So here is what I know about the 1994 Ford Mustang Pace cars. Ford made 107 festival cars to be used during the month of May to transport “important” people around Indianapolis and were lastly used in the Festival parade for the Indianapolis 500. All 107 were red convertible GT’s, 5.0L engine, automatic transmission and 17” GT rims. Ford used Mustang GT’s because they didn’t have enough time to make that many cobra convertibles before May.

Ford also made a Cobra replica of the Pace Car that was sold at dealerships and they were all red Cobra convertibles but did not have the 17” GT rims, they had the Cobra rims. Hope this clears up any confusion.
Good info but this is a 15 yr old thread.