95 GTS vs 3000GT VR-4

MadHandle8169

Founding Member
May 5, 2002
Brick, NJ
I was coming home from my girl-friends house when I spot a 3000GT so I proceed to follow it. Luckily, the light ahead has turned red and stopped the car. He is first at the light and I am behind him because there is a tractor trailor next to him. He takes off a little I stay on his bumber and move next to him because we both have to slow for the next light. The light goes green we both take off not knowing what each other is going to do. He hits it so I put the pedal to the floor gaining about a car. I nail the 2nd shift perfectly chirping the tires and pull another half a car. I then shift to 3rd and keep that lead until about 110MPH where I shut down. I was very pumped up and surprised by this. I thought he was going to start coming back once I hit 3rd but he stayed about 1 1/2 - 2 cars back the whole time.

I'm pretty sure it was stock, however I heard the turbo so he might have had a blow off valve. That doesn't add HP though. It was an older fellow around late 30s with his wife I believe. After the race we exchanged the thumbs up so he was a real cool guy. We didn't have time to talk.

I think the win is due to his car being so much heavier. They are approximately 3800 lbs stock and with 2 people his weight races was a little over 4100lbs. The AWD also drains his power from a roll. I also think he probably wasn't the best driver. However, I didn't hear him miss any shifts. All in all this is my best kill to date. So last night was a good night.

:banana: :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

cb18201 said:
awd doesnt drain power it works similiarto how our limited slip works, itsn ot like 4 wheel drive but nice kill its good to see a dsm go down
Actually it does drain power. Take a WRX for example, drivetrain loss is 25% or more, as compared with about 15% for a manual transmission Mustang.

Dave

how would it drain power when driving normally? on a dyno i know it would because its on an awd dyno where all 4 wheels have to drive an not 3 spin freely, im not taking about when the awd is working, i mean when it is not working its not draining power.

cb18201 said:
how would it drain power when driving normally? on a dyno i know it would because its on an awd dyno where all 4 wheels have to drive an not 3 spin freely, im not taking about when the awd is working, i mean when it is not working its not draining power.

well, awd is techinically always working. its just a power shift. itll run 10% on the fronts and 90% in rear during normal driving.

awd only works when the front right wheel slips, but alot of car ocmpnays are different, im familiar with dsms because my friend works ata perfomance garage where they specialize in these dsms (3000 gts, lasers, talons eclipses) an he explained it to me like that.

All-wheel drive
All-wheel drive engineering sends the power from the engine via a "smarter" differential to all wheels — only when it senses that it is necessary — selecting the "best" set of wheels for the current driving situation. So, what's the difference between four-wheel and all-wheel drive? With all-wheel drive, the differential technology is truly smart enough to determine which wheel is slipping and direct power to the opposing set of wheels. This means an all-wheel drive vehicle could potentially be operating as both a two-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle at any given time, depending entirely on the conditions

In most all-wheel drive systems, most or all of the power is sent to the front wheels until a sensor detects front-wheel slip. This type of technology is being offered in many new cars, especially crossover SUVs. Because of this improved technology, all-wheel drive vehicles are becoming more desirable — both for performance and safety. The advantage to all-wheel drive is that it distinctly improves traction and handling. However, it can also reduce gas mileage because of the increased friction and weight of the drivetrain.

Bottom line: All-wheel drive engineering works most of the time like a "front-wheel drive" with a smart "back-up" power source sent to the rear wheels when needed. This is not, however true in all cases — in some all-wheel drive vehicles there a constant 60/40 split of power from the front to the back wheels. The outcome is better performance and safety in all weather, but mainly for on-road driving.

If that was a VR-4, his driving must have been for ***** or he wasn't giving it all it had. Those cars ran mid 13s stock back in 97. Don't know if they made more power in the following years. You would have to be modded more than what is listed in your sig to cut a mid 13. Not saying your lying about outrunning him, but something wasn't right.

They dont run mid 13s. They run high 13s to low 14s depending on what year they are. There trap speed isn't that high either its around 100mph. They also are heavy as hell. He also had someone else in his car while I was solo. So he had a race weight of around 4100lbs. While my car weighs around 3400 with me in it. He was also stock so he wasn't making much more power than me. So the power to weight ratio is in my favor. My car is good for low 14s and i do believe the guy wasnt the best driver. However he wasn't awful. Believe what you want but I beat him.