95 v6 to v8 swap, anyone done this??

black95gts5.0

Jun 16, 2005
Ok I am building an engine for my 95 GTS and am going to just drop it in to the car complete, so I am going to have the stock engine out of my GTS complete and still in perfect running order. Now here is the kicker, my buddie has a 95 6cyl that has a bad knock and will sell to me for really cheap. Both cars are 5spd and I am wondering how much I will have to change to make the 6cyl into a V8. I know that the rear end isnt the same and I think the tranny is different too but I understand that they will work for now, untill the 5.0 rips em apart?? Any input is welcome. Thanks:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The rear-end is a 7.5" in the V6, whereas the V8 models have a much stronger 8.8". I don't know about the tranny, but I'm sure it's not near strong enough to handle the extra power. Then there's the suspension that's all gonna need upgraded, the wiring harness, the computer, fuel system. Do a search, there's TONS of info on this on stangnet.

I would guess the V6 car is in much better shape than your car or you wouldn't be going to all the swap trouble.

anyway

The way to do it with the least amount of hassle is to treat your car as a doner and move all it's parts to the little V6 car for everything to be like it should be.

Pretty big job so think about it!

Grady

I swapped a 5.0 into my 94 V6 last year. The tranny (5 spd) seems to be holding OK with a SPEC stage 1 clutch. I put a trac-loc and 3:73 gears in the stock 7.5", it seems to be ok for now. You should look up a user on here named SORSCODE, he helped me when I was swapping out the engines with some of the smaller questions that I had. Look for his website, he has a lot of good info on this swap. You will need the engine and computer wiring harnesses as well as the computer (T4MO) from the 5.0 car to put in the v6. You will need a 5.0 CCRM and 5.0 tranny bellhousing too. I'm still running the v6 radiator fan and stock fuel pump (soon to be changed). Oh yeah, you will need the TAB, TAD, and EGR modules from the 5.0 car as well (they are located in the passenger's side wheel well under the plastic shield). Most of what you need you can find on ebay or local junkyard(s). This is a very worthwhile swap since you can get the car for cheap and have a good donor engine. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Good Luck and let us know if you decide to do this swap.

Phil

thanks for all of the tips, sounds like a lot of work and time. I will talk to my buddie and see what he wants for the car and I will decide if it is worth it and let you all know later, thanks for the input.

I have the same situation and I finally came to the conclusion that it isnt worth the effort. My dad and I own a 95 v6 which blew a head gasket. Long story short, the motor ended up being destyoed in the process and so a debate ensued as to wether or not to make the swap or just buy a GT. In the end my wife and I decided to buy a GT (we are currently looking for one - not sure of specific year yet) because there is so much that must be changed over.
The 5 speed is the same tranny (might be different gear ratios, but same tranny). The ECU, wiring harness, sensors, instument cluster (i have been told the speedo is a different ratio in the GT), front suspension, all the engine accessories must be changed. the rear end is different and it would appear that it can remain unchanged for a period but the 7.5" rear end is very weak and if you make any mods to the 5.0 then you must upgrade to an 8.8". Plus you need to change the bell housing.

I have been given quotes anywhere from 5-10 thousand for the swap depending on the shop. We started looking at how much a 95 GT would run and they are selling for 4500-6000 in my area (San Diego) so it really isnt worth it in my opinion.

But if you do decide to do it, everyone I have spoken with who has done it has said find a junkyard 5.0 of the same year and tranny setup and just use it as a donor car otherwise you will have issues.

Hope that helps

CManT1914 said:
The rear-end is a 7.5" in the V6, whereas the V8 models have a much stronger 8.8". I don't know about the tranny, but I'm sure it's not near strong enough to handle the extra power. Then there's the suspension that's all gonna need upgraded, the wiring harness, the computer, fuel system. Do a search, there's TONS of info on this on stangnet.

fule system = exact same, you dont HAVE to swap suspension, i dont kow how it would ride with the v6 springsa, but i never tried it, you want to put good springs in anyway might as well do it while you do the rear, the 7.5 sucks

BigDaddy95 said:
I have the same situation and I finally came to the conclusion that it isnt worth the effort. My dad and I own a 95 v6 which blew a head gasket. Long story short, the motor ended up being destyoed in the process and so a debate ensued as to wether or not to make the swap or just buy a GT. In the end my wife and I decided to buy a GT (we are currently looking for one - not sure of specific year yet) because there is so much that must be changed over.
The 5 speed is the same tranny (might be different gear ratios, but same tranny). The ECU, wiring harness, sensors, instument cluster (i have been told the speedo is a different ratio in the GT), front suspension, all the engine accessories must be changed. the rear end is different and it would appear that it can remain unchanged for a period but the 7.5" rear end is very weak and if you make any mods to the 5.0 then you must upgrade to an 8.8". Plus you need to change the bell housing.

I have been given quotes anywhere from 5-10 thousand for the swap depending on the shop. We started looking at how much a 95 GT would run and they are selling for 4500-6000 in my area (San Diego) so it really isnt worth it in my opinion.

But if you do decide to do it, everyone I have spoken with who has done it has said find a junkyard 5.0 of the same year and tranny setup and just use it as a donor car otherwise you will have issues.

Hope that helps

fly me and a friend out for a week we will do it in 2 days with a donor car for $3g's

of course for the remainder of the week, we would need it to go "test and tune"

Sorscode (Danny) is the guy to talk to about swaps. I did most of the mechanical stuff on my v6-v8 swap and then since Danny only lives a little ways away we trailored the car down to him to have him do the wiring. He did an excellent job on it.

the CCRM are the same in a sense of hook up... But I have takin a V6 one apart and it is missing I think the Low speed fan relay. Its one or the other its missing. But like you say all of them will work for your needs but the fan fuction is where the problem usually lies. Thats why I specify the V8 CCRM out of any Mustang from 94+ but 94-95 Specific if possible.

Not impossible at all. You want to really do it? Forget about the computer system. I own a 99 V6. I purchased a new tubular K-Member, carb, carb intake. Forget the OBD. I purchased a C4 tranny, torque convertor, and the proper bellhousing. I swapped out the 7.5 rear already for the 8.8 out of my doner car. Yes you have to space out the hubs on a 99 because the 7.5 on a 99 is 2 in wider on the tubes compared to the 95 8.8in rear. I purchased a Holley fuel pump that takes care of the fuel system when I get to this point. I also just purchased an old school Duraspark II ignition module and a distributor from a vacuum advanced 85 Mustang. Its easy. Only gauges that I need I purchased from Autometer. My springs were from the doner also, but they were already BBK lowering springs I had put on that 95. SO I am driving on a lowered 99 at least with an 8.8 and 3.73's. I even swapped out the bucket seats, backseat, and the leather steering wheel. I just drop the motor in and wire it up. One fuel line and few wires for the gauges, charging system, ignition system, and I am free from all the crap you guys have using your computers. OH and the refreshed GT-40 P heads from an Explorer are going to help out also. I rebuilt the doner cars engine 5,000 miles ago so its was ready to go. E CAM, .030 over bore, roller rockers, etc and lots of TLC until a deer took the car out. I was going to purchase a 94-98 V6 and do the swap since they are go much easier to find and cheaper for the wallet. I saw a red 00 Cobra R with the nice front valance and high spoiler on the rear and I said I am now going to get a 99-04 V6 instead. I can just clone a Cobra R. As far as I know no one has done this swap in a 99 and I plan on bringing back the 5.0 in it VERY soon, I have everything I need just sitting there, but I need to get relocated to a new location for my work and cant risk tearing down my only transportion. Swapping out rears, springs and seats is one thing, but not the K-Member and engine yet. BTW QA1 K-member.

madams74 said:
Not impossible at all. You want to really do it? Forget about the computer system. I own a 99 V6. I purchased a new tubular K-Member, carb, carb intake. Forget the OBD. I purchased a C4 tranny, torque convertor, and the proper bellhousing. I swapped out the 7.5 rear already for the 8.8 out of my doner car. Yes you have to space out the hubs on a 99 because the 7.5 on a 99 is 2 in wider on the tubes compared to the 95 8.8in rear. I purchased a Holley fuel pump that takes care of the fuel system when I get to this point. I also just purchased an old school Duraspark II ignition module and a distributor from a vacuum advanced 85 Mustang. Its easy. Only gauges that I need I purchased from Autometer. My springs were from the doner also, but they were already BBK lowering springs I had put on that 95. SO I am driving on a lowered 99 at least with an 8.8 and 3.73's. I even swapped out the bucket seats, backseat, and the leather steering wheel. I just drop the motor in and wire it up. One fuel line and few wires for the gauges, charging system, ignition system, and I am free from all the crap you guys have using your computers. OH and the refreshed GT-40 P heads from an Explorer are going to help out also. I rebuilt the doner cars engine 5,000 miles ago so its was ready to go. E CAM, .030 over bore, roller rockers, etc and lots of TLC until a deer took the car out. I was going to purchase a 94-98 V6 and do the swap since they are go much easier to find and cheaper for the wallet. I saw a red 00 Cobra R with the nice front valance and high spoiler on the rear and I said I am now going to get a 99-04 V6 instead. I can just clone a Cobra R. As far as I know no one has done this swap in a 99 and I plan on bringing back the 5.0 in it VERY soon, I have everything I need just sitting there, but I need to get relocated to a new location for my work and cant risk tearing down my only transportion. Swapping out rears, springs and seats is one thing, but not the K-Member and engine yet. BTW QA1 K-member.

fuel injection isnt hard, its plug and play, nothing crazy, plus you are free from carb crap tuning, altitude compensation, whatever else the 19th century technology problems were. carbs are cool on old cars and race cars. carbs are suck on daily drivers, except for being able to shoot flames
while crusing with a turn of the key

blk9450 said:
fuel injection isnt hard, its plug and play, nothing crazy, plus you are free from carb crap tuning, altitude compensation, whatever else the 19th century technology problems were. carbs are cool on old cars and race cars. carbs are suck on daily drivers, except for being able to shoot flames
while crusing with a turn of the key

I disagree. You can not tune Ford OBD 1 system in a 95 GT worth a crap unless you spend bid money on the tweaker type systems. The stock CPU program sucks for performance. The system hates aftermarket cams. You hear the same old BS about how my car runs fine with this or that change but mine does not. Altitude compensation is not important unless you live in the mountains. I dont, I live next to the Atlantic close to sea level. As for your overall view on carbs, you say "nothing crazy". Whats more crazy than a cluster of wiring and a million sensors just to get your car to idle correctly? All I have to do is bolt on my Carter carb with 4 bolts, push on a fuel line, and turn two screws for mixture, and one for idle speed. What can you do for idle? NOTHING but watch you CPU compensate for the mess of normal changes gear heads want to make and get pissed because it wont work with the stock system. You got the money for a high dollar tweaker then go right ahead and feel free to sit for hours fondling yourself trying to figure out those data table adjustment while I am on my way down the road. NOTHING is wrong with a carb on ANY vehicle.