96 GT buying help (need it kinda quick)

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Found a 96 GT 5 speed. Guy was asking 3500 obo. Car has 122k on it has a slight oil leak he says its coming from the back of the engine drivers side. I mentioned VC gasket he says it was changed but still has a small leak. Will need new rubber after this year probably. Looks to be in great shape ( was kinda dark when I looked at it) interior is perfect for what I seen. Car runs and drives great. Tranny is tight no slop. Has BBK catted X with glass packs, CAI, U/D pulleys, and short shifter

I went on the low side and offered 2500 he said no. I upped it to 3000 and he said he would take 3400 cause he was already offered 3200. I know KBB is right around where he's asking.

Does that sound like a good deal?

I want another stang to mess around in while my 94 is in pieces. I'm not looking to spend a lot. Was honestly looking for a new edge but stumbled across this one and figured if I could get it cheap I'd go for it.

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on the colors. A little oil leak could be alot of things, like VC gasket as you said or PCV valve or hoses causing a leak. If that is the only thing killing you on the deal, do a compression and leakdown test, if the results are good, go for it, but if pressures vary too much or are too low altogether walk away..just IMO.

LOL Josh if you mean what color is the car it's the dark purple. Not many of them around and as you can tell by my 94 I go for being different.

I'll look into the other stuff when I get it

Rusty yeah I was told by another 94-95 guy that while working on a 4.6 they seen some oil around one of the head bolts but it wasn't showing untill they pulled the heads. He wasn't sure but said it could be possible it was from that just been happening longer so its being seen. That just gives me an excuse to do a PI swap someday lol

I told him I'd do the 3400 and he said he had to figure out a couple things and get back to me (not sure what that means) Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up Saturday

Thanks for your replies I'm sure I'll be in this section asking a lot of questions once I pick it up