'96 GT Clutch Suddenly Slipping

'89cab

Jul 19, 2004
Carmel, CA
The clutch on my son’s stock ‘96 GT just started slipping. There was no warning before it went so bad you really can’t drive it – with pedal to the floor the engine lugs in first because the clutch is half way engaged. I’ve had many clutches go bad on other cars and there was always sufficient warning to repair it before it was undrivable. The car just turned 100,000 miles and I believe the clutch was replaced (at about 75,000) by the previous owner but we have no documentation.

Lifting the pedal to adjust does nothing – no click or difference in clutch . What happens when the quadrent goes bad? Any possibility of cable slipping or stretching?

Unfortunately, we didn’t read the manual about lifting pedal periodically to adjust it. Could this have caused premature wear?

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm.. i don't lift the pedal on my 96GT, and my clutch is fine, so i doubt it. I replaced the stock one awhile back with a king cobra clutch.. its a good affordable replacement, though the pedal feel is a bit harsh. Doesn't sound like normal clutch wear though; atleast the problem will be solved when they attempt a replacement.