98 Cobra Spark Plugs Question

• Sponsors (?)

??? I think their the easiest thing I have ever done on my car. Plugs right inside of the valve cover. Straight spark plug socket+extension right down the the hole and they come tight on out. i can do all 8 and tq them down to specs in about 10 min.

Simple, the hardest thing is taking the intake tube off the passenger side so you can get to a few of the rear plugs...Just take the plug wire covers off the top of the valve covers, pull the plug wires out of the holes and use a spark plug socket and a long extention and in they go...make sure you don't over tighten or get the spark plugs cross threaded when you put them back in, the aluminum heads aren't very forgiving...make sure you use some anti-seize on the spark plug threads when you put the new ones back in also...

It's a pain on the 2V motors... I saw a guy struggle for hours, and that was in an F-150! You'd think they have enough space, but they were hard to get to. So I was dreading changing them on my wife's cobra. It was easier than changing a tire. You've got such a straight shot at the plugs. Just follow their advice, don't cross thread, and use anti-seize.

Its the easiest car Ive ever had regarding changing plugs. God knows, Ive changed or regapped mine dozens of times. A little trick I learned about taking the plug out after its loosened up: cut off the coil end of an old wire, and use the spark plug end to push it on the loosened plug, then simply pull it up through the head.

peace

Got N2O said:
or how about using a spark plug socket? They have an o-ring in them to retain the plug and pull it out with the socket. Easier than shoving a wire down in the valve cover and slipping it on?

Actually, its not a wire you shove down there - its the boot of the old sparkplug wire - which obviously fully reaches up to the top pf the head

peace