A Few Questions on S197 Mustangs?

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
Im thinking of buying either a new or used s197 GT soon havent decided if im buying new or used yet though? I have a few questions, it will be my daily driver so what kind of gas mileage are you guys getting mostly city driving? Also do the new 4.6l need premium or can they run on low or mid grade? I live in Illinois so the snow can get pretty bad, how do these do in light(few inches) and heavy snow(six inches or so) I will be driving about 30 miles round trip to work and back. Also how much did you guys pay for your 05+ GT if you dont mind me asking?

• Sponsors (?)

Im thinking of buying either a new or used s197 GT soon havent decided if im buying new or used yet though? I have a few questions, it will be my daily driver so what kind of gas mileage are you guys getting mostly city driving? Also do the new 4.6l need premium or can they run on low or mid grade? I live in Illinois so the snow can get pretty bad, how do these do in light(few inches) and heavy snow(six inches or so) I will be driving about 30 miles round trip to work and back. Also how much did you guys pay for your 05+ GT if you dont mind me asking?

With a good intake and tune, you can get well over 20mpg city and near 30 highway. Premium is not required, but you do get a few extra ponies and better gas mileage by tuning for premium. Stock running on 87 or 89, you'll probably see 17-20mpg city and 24-28 highway.

With snow tires, they're not bad at all in the winter. Then again, my first car was a '65 Galaxie 500 352V8 and I got it in November lol. No snow tires, at that. But due to the power of these cars, I would definitely get snow tires.

With X Plan and incentives, I think I paid around $25k for my 07 GT Premium. I bought the '05 when they were still in high demand so I had to pay sticker.

I wish I got that. I usually get about 13 in the city and 24 on the highway. That is factory tune. Look at the ratings for the car. My city driving is less than four miles at a time which will not get the ratings for the car. There are some threads on here which have drivers' MPG results.
I think you will be very lucky to get more than 15 in city driving.

With the stock tune, I was getting around 18 city. That's with 3.31's, which may make a difference. But with an aftermarket tune, it improved dramatically. That's based off of a 8 mile drive to work both ways, 30mph the whole way, hitting an average of 7 stop lights.

My 08 Bullitt is averaging a low of 22 to a high of 24, with the current ave being 23.1. I commute 35 miles by interstate every day.

I love this car. It may not be perfect, and there are others that do other things better, but it is a MUSTANG, and a MUSTANG GT.

What else is there.

See.. :) Pretty good numbers for 3.73's too. I didn't buy my car to get great gas mileage. It's just a bonus. It does better than my daily driver ('96 Contour). 20+ MPG, V8, and 300+ HP. Can't beat it.

I get ~20 mpg in mostly city, driving it very softly and with a tune. The car is really sensitive to how you drive it; I can get 4 mpg difference at 70 mph depending on how I drive it.

It's officially rated at 15/23 city/highway; with a little effort most people can get 17/25 or better.

As for snow, a set of snow tires and your all set. Limited slip & traction control make getting around in the snow pretty easy.

If your getting one get a GT, My 05 v6 gets the same mileage as my 03 GT, not saying that a new GT gets the same but they are so close that I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get a GT. Actually. I had A 95 v6 and went to a 99 gt Then to a 05 V6 and then to my 03GT and between all the cars, driven nice got almost the same mileage that I will always take the V8.