a few questions...

sLOWSVT

Apr 16, 2003
Lockport, IL
Looking at getting a few things for my 98...

How is the quality of MAC? Does their price reflect it? Theyre a lot cheaper than others like BBK.

What are good pullies? I remeber hearing something about a 1 or 2 piece crank (IIRC) pulley (that the 2 piece was bad?).

Well, I was thinking about getting...

BBK OR/X
BBK CAI
MIL Elims
BBK Pullies and
FMS 4.30's...

I plan to dyno the car as it sits, then again (with a group dyno day) after the mods are completed...

I was going to go with Black Bullits in 18x9, but theres too many Camaros out here, that think theyre tough (my father included :) ).

Sound good? :D

Anything anyone can add will be appreciated...

Ron...(Havent been around much as of late, but with spring comming, that should change. ;) )

• Sponsors (?)

MAC=CRAP stay away from it especially the headers, they are known to destroy DOHC engines

BBK O/R X, good choice if you want a cheaper x-pipe, Magnaflow or Bassani are better though

BBK CAI=CRAP, go with a UPR powerpipe, a densecharger, or a WMS velocity tube

MILelims you'll need to get rid of your CEL, make your own or buy some off ebay

BBK pulleys, I have them but I wish I would have went with Steeda or ASP since they aren't piggy back crank pulleys like BBK are

FMS 4.30's excellent choice

I agree with Missouri Guy....

Stay away from Mac.
BBK makes good mid pipes (why X, go with an o/r H pipe :nice: )
Go with a WMS CAI...looks good and ACTUALLY works.
Go with Steeda pulleys...the only option in my opinion.
4.30's....perfect choice. I've been told that 4.30's are known to whine a little...it all depends on if they are made right. I have no whine at all (at least that I can hear over the exhaust).

Thanks guys, thats ecactly what I was looking for, Im taking everything into consideration...

Jim, you have been a big help since my first post here. :D I dont suppose you have any pics on the 03's? I was considering them a while ago, but Ive decided on the black bullits since.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=122 Is this what youre talking about? :(

System #8: Part# 969846CBFL
96-98 4.6 Cobra and 01 Bullitt Densecharger
Fender to throttle body system (100mm pipe all the way)

Includes 100mm Densecharger System with new CNC'd MAF Flanges
K&N # RU3480 6" Conical Air Filter

Would that be better?

OR?
System #4C: Part# 46ELPP
96-03 4.6 100mm Meter forward Powerpack
Includes Densecharger System with new CNC'd MAF Flanges
Carbon Fiber Upgrade kit
K&N # 3480 6" Conical Air Filter
8 NGK V-Power Spark plugs (Add $39 for NGK Iridiums when ordering by phone)
Price $160 delivered

OR?

The complete #4 meter forward system for only $120

The complete #4 system with the Pro-M MAF meter for only $280
(Meter alone retails over $200)

(System includes #1 K&N filter - $60 retail)

Delivery included!

MAC=crap when I bought my cobra it had a mac h-pipe and mac cat back it was loud backfired all the time and was all rusty looking. I switched out with a BBK o/r x-pipe and flowmaster 3 chamber cat-back I felt a diff in power. I dont like the BBK sound it sounds like BB's are rattling around in the x somewhere I here a lot of people in the review section say the same thing. I bought a SLP x-pipe its on back order I want that because I have emmissions now and just like the Bassani you can swap out the cats with strait pipe with just some bolts. As far as the h-pipe x-pipe diff muscle mustang has dyno proven that x-pipes make more power and personally I think they sound better everyone I know with an h-pipe had the same problem I had with the car backfiring (under free revs).

My two cents hope you enjoyed.

I bought a K&N FIPK and a C&L tru-flow intake(made of alum). I like them.

How high do you have to rev it for it to pop tho? My buddy has a 96 4.6 DOHC in an 89GT and it pops when you 'free rev' it to about 6500...

He has a no name OR/H and 2 chamber flows.

I think Im going to go with the OR/H, as I love the sound of his exhaust.

The CAI is still up in the air though.

Once I get back from Vacation the orders will start rolling....

New list...
WMS Intake/Maf
BBK OR/H - MIL's
Steeda Pullies

Gears will wait, as the intake is a lot more than expeted, and Ill still have to pay for the install, but will definatly happen ASAP. ;)

The more I looked at the DenseCharger, the more it looked like something that was made at Home Depot, so Im going to pass...