A question abou Catbacks

Coolman532

Nov 29, 2003
San Jose, CA
Let me get this straight, when you install catbacks, there is no room for oxygen sensors. So inorder to turn off the check engine light you have to use mil eliminators. Do mil eliminators just turn of the engine light off for good or just for the oxygen sensor. Can someone explain this too me because i am not getting it. Where do you get mil eliminators.

• Sponsors (?)

cat backs go from the catalytic converters back. i think that you are confusing them with x or h pipes. those go in place of the factory H which itself has 4 or more cats on it. if i'm wrong, someone please correct me :)

There are 4 O2 sensors on a stock h pipe, i used to have an offroad pipe and the MIL eliminators went on the 2 lower sensors nearest the mufflers, but they are fully reversible and not needed unless you have an offroad pipe with no catalytic converters. When i took my pipe off i just unplugged the eliminators and it was back to normal. By the way i have a set of MIL eliminators and a mac off road h pipe just sittin in my room if anyone is interested, its fine i just had trouble with the lovely local law enforcement officers :-(

Coolman532 said:
Let me get this straight, when you install catbacks, there is no room for oxygen sensors. So inorder to turn off the check engine light you have to use mil eliminators. Do mil eliminators just turn of the engine light off for good or just for the oxygen sensor. Can someone explain this too me because i am not getting it. Where do you get mil eliminators.

That's for offroad pipes. The oxygen sensors are before the cats.

Coolman532 said:

A catback has no impact on the O2 sensors, because all of the O2 sensors are located on the H-pipe and are upstream from the catback. :nice:

If, however, you install an aftermarket H or X pipe (catted or off road) you will need to turn off the rear O2 sensors to prevent a MIL from low catalytic converter efficiency. :D