A (very) Few Car Show Pics - SOME ESPECIALLY FOR CHEPSK8

Okay, so our annual car show (Caballeros de Yuma's "Midnight at the Oasis") has come and gone this weekend. As always, there were some excellent cars out there :nice:
And for the last few years, as always, I've been busy doing stuff so that, if I gewt out there at all; I have little or no time to get any really good pix :nice:
This year, I got a few; as I was jumping on and off a Polaris "golf cart", hauling trash and other stuff. Only 6 pictures were worth anything, so here they are:

As always, I'm gonna start with the absolute object of car-lust (at least for me):

MATO2008002.jpg

Yes folks; an honest-to-God relatively unrestored East Coast survivor '68 Shelby GT500KR 'vert (1 of 318 KR vert's). Relatively means that the owner (second owner!) had the heads pulled and hardened valve seats installed (for unleaded fuel), had some of the leather upholstery restitched and also had the once-very-moldy convertible top replaced. Everything else is 100% original! Well, not true; the Doc had that front "fake plate" made because he wanted to keep the original Rhode Island front license plate in good shape. Oh yeah, he is the second owner of the car; having inherited it -literally- from his father, who originally bought it new in Providence.
(Hey Pak, did you hear that?)

EDIT: Since I'm much more in love with this car than I am with the idea of "originality"; the first thing I would do(if I outlived Dr. Miller and could buy the car from his kids) would be to find an outstanding painter-guy and have him re-shoot the Highland Green! She really needs new paint to show off her true beauty! :drool:

• Sponsors (?)

Next up, a '30s Ford......

You know, there seem to be many tons of '33-'40 Fords; coupes, Fordor's and Roadsters at this show; I love them all, but they mostly have been made into Hot Rods with the addition of Chevy smallblocks! Now I actually like some Chebbies; but still, :puke: It just ain't natural!

Well, I feel better when I think of this '33.....

MATO2008006.jpg

The reason I feel better is this:

MATO2008007.jpg

Late-model guys will understand better than us "old-car" guys. That is an FRPP "5.0 Cammer" motor; a bored and stroked 4.6L mod motor; displacing 301.64 CID.
Yeah, an overhead cam 302. It also has a T-56 tranny. Any questions? :D

And Now; SPECIFICALLY For Chepsk8 !

Anybody remember this rant?
Chepsk8 said:
What’s next? Something I already owned once, a certified classic, limited production musclecar that even paced the Indy 500 twice. What car? A Hurst/Olds. An orphan car, never to be made again. George Hurst died in 1986. Oldsmobile died a few years ago. No lawsuits, no licensed replicas, nada. Just uniqueness, a piece of history. Besides, we have Linda Vaughn!
I sure do! Well, I can't produce a Hurst/Olds; but will this do?
MATO2008003.jpg

Can you read the fender badge below the "Cutlass"?
No?
Okay, will the license plate help?
MATO2008004.jpg

:D

Oh yeah! I FORGOT One!

This is for bnickel, yeloxr7, and woodsnake:

MATO2008001.jpg

I used to "watch" this XR-7 get its new upholstery and top every day as I drove past Dave's Auto Glass and Upholstery on my way home from work. Finally figured out that it went to a guy that lives less than 1/4 mile away from a good friend of mine; who's also our retired County Sheriff! The guy also has a '72 Ram-Air 351C-HO Mustang 'vert - I know this from working on his phone line about 5-6 years ago. And yes, he still has the Stang; it was at the show this year.

Unfortunately, his neighbor had already left the show by the time I got there with a camera; so I missed getting pics of the neighbor's '68 GT-350, as well as the neighbor's (according to the liense plate) "70 ELIM". As far as I could tell, the Eliminator has the correct wing, dash, decals and motor; but I didn't get to see the door tag, so :shrug:

:jaw: Just saw the pics! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:jaw: :nice:

The KR is just like the one used on "GET SMART".

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That W-31 is my favorite!!!! A SUPER-RARE car!:nice:

As I have said before, my next cool car will come from the twisted labs of Dr. Oldsmobile!:rolleyes:

I think I told you about the KR before..... Was his Dad's car originally. If I got the story straight, Dad bought it for Dr Miller's sister but she didn't like it :rolleyes: so Dad kept it 'til he died. Doc was executor of Dad's will, sis decided she wanted the car.... too bad (for her) that she wasn't the exeutor of his will! :rlaugh:

Car was bought in Providence, RI; I still haven't heard from Pak on that tidbit.

Both the KR and the W-31 are perrienial staples at this show; since both are locally owned. I'll have to "look up" that phone number, see how far away from me it lives. Prefix indicates it's very likely on my end of town.

EDIT: Okay, I couldn't resist it; "bent the rules" and researched the phone number on the For Sale card...... The Olds lives two blocks east of my grandmother's old house (where my family was living when I was born) "on the avenues" here in town! Say about 2-1/4 miles NE of where I sit typing this.........

Dude, can you get back out here if I find out the owner hasn't had any bites????

the coug is nice and has my wheels on it too, those are the ones i'm planning on putting on my cougar except i'll be doing the argent painted versions instead of the chrome ones. BTW, i got it home finally and one of these days i'll get some pics up of it. it's a nice car that is relatively unmolested other than the crappy bodywork and stripped paint on the passenger side, the interior is just about perfect and all original and the engine still has just about every part it left the factory with, most of the hoses and all.