A9L vs A9P

cmb91LX

Apr 20, 2004
Memphis
Maybe you guys can clear up some things for me. My 91 had a 5 speed originally with an A9L processor. We took out the 5 speed and put in an AOD. I was under the impression that the A9L that was with the 5 speed wouldnt work so I found a guy with an AOD car and bought his processor, it was an A9P. So now I am going back to 5 speed and I am unsure whether both may work or not. I have heard things about one of them being better than the other but I am unsure where/what I have heard.

My question is which processor should I use now with the 5 speed? Is the processor "mated" to a certain type pf transmission and can only be used on that transmission? Please advise

• Sponsors (?)

You can run the A9P (although it has specific codes for the AOD) in any car, the A9L only works in 5-speeds (or automatics other than the AOD).

Some believe the the fuel curves for the automatics work better in either application than the fuel curves for the 5-speeds.

89roadster said:
You can run the A9P (although it has specific codes for the AOD) in any car, the A9L only works in 5-speeds (or automatics other than the AOD).

Some believe the the fuel curves for the automatics work better in either application than the fuel curves for the 5-speeds.
:stupid:
89roadster is correct.

I am not sure on how much more agressive the A9P is but it worked great in my car when I switched my auto for a 5 speed.
Either way both can easily be modified for a custom chip.

cmb91LX said:
So, the A9P should work fine with the Tremec?

Are you saying it is a more aggressive processor than the A9L?
Yes on both counts - that's actually the setup that I have now.

93GreenLX said:
I'd be interested in the A9L if you decide not to use it . Hey there Charlie
Hey Nikk! Funny meeting you here ;) I thought you were going to run an AOD???

Don 95Vert said:
A9L stock total timing = 26*
A9P stock total timing = 30.8*

AODs are not controlled by the EEC at all so it doesn't matter. That started in '94 in Mustangs.

Don
You are correct sir, didn't mean to imply the AOD hooks up to the EEC, meant to imply that it changes engine function to handle the AOD. The AOD is controlled by the TV cable :bang: .