About to purchase 91 GT; have few questions.

Rerun

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
South Bay, California
Ran into a guy selling a 91 GT in which I want but I have a few questions, and thought maybe I could get some feedback on this. Here's what he says it has:

Six month old paint job.
Saleen Transmission
Short Gear Shift Kit
Perfomance Headers
Performance Air Intake
Saleen Spoiler
Black Leather Intetior
Metallic Silver Cobra Wheels
And 56,000 on the odometer.

Ok, so all sounds great, and it's a great price. So I took the VIN and paid for a CARFAX. Showed the vehicle had 138,000 at a DMV check in October of 1998. So I hit him up about that asking him why the CARFAX and the mileage don't match and his answer was that he put in a new engine. So should I just stay away from this all together? Is there any way to tell (other than paperwork, which I'm going to ask for) that a new engine has been put in the vehicle? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is the original mileage you should really check for a blown head gasket. They have a tendency to go at about 125k and soon after so you might want to check it out first. Depending on the price it might be be a good deal though. All in all you probably wont find a 5.0 which either needs a headgasket or has the headgaskets already done so keep that in mind. It does sound suspicious though. Usually a rebuild or a new engine is a selling point since he didn't mention it before. Worse case if its just the engine that has an issue to rebuild it is about 500 bucks. The easiest way to tell if the engine is still good is to use a compression tester and see if the cylinders hold pressure. Other than that I am not sure how to go about checking the car without taking it apart. Also check if you can see bubbles in the radiator if he steps on it. Typically a blown head gasket. Good luck
Kevin

I would keep looking if I were you. First of all he didnt tell you about the rebuild, which I doubt the engine even is rebuilt. And secondly even if the engine were rebuilt, he would have NO reason to touch the odometer. In fact its illegal. Not to mention the tranny (no such thing as a saleen tranny BTW), rear end, suspension, and frame, all the small things like bushings, bearings etc have 125K. Once the odometer is rolled back youll never know the true mileage on the car.

Thanks guys for all your replys, I think I'm going to have to hold on to my cash because you're right he wasn't upfront with me about it until I told him I ran a CARFAX. He wanted 5 grand for the vehicle. So I'm still shopping around, any of you guys in Cali looking to unload a 89-93 GT, let me know I'd be glad to take it off of your hands.