ABS Power Brake intergrated power steering box.

freddyfender

May 10, 2007
Has anyone used this all in one steering box and power set up?
It looks very interesting. An all in one integrated box for the mustang.

My 65's steering box is sloppy and there always seems to be some leak from the power steering system. If anyone has used it and can comment on how the car drives and anything else it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6469_Ford_mustPowerBoxKit.jpg
    6469_Ford_mustPowerBoxKit.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 497
  • Sponsors (?)

the abs kit

My 65's steering box is sloppy and there always seems to be some leak from the power steering system. If anyone has used it and can comment on how the car drives and anything else it would be appreciated.

Howdy fellow Canuck,I've been looking at the ABS kit for $1100.00 USD and I'm right in the middle of doing this exact conversion to my 68 Fastback. It's a good system but I can do it for much cheaper.When I'm totally done with my car in the next month or two,I plan to make a few kits on my own for alot cheaper.Where are you located so I can keep you updated with your e-mail.Mine is [email protected]rs,Glen. P.S. Ilive on Vancouver Island.

1100 is WAY over priced IMO.

There are more and more of these kits coming out lately. I'm still waiting for CCP to come out with one. They have been talking about it forever.

Most ones I've heard about use a remanufactured Toyota box that has been modified.

Steering box slop can almost always be eliminated by proper adjustment, but it's critical to follow the exact procedure in the Manual.

Power steering leaks are usually due to using generic hoses, hoses not banded to the power valve, and lack of proper hose bracket.

If the "slop" is actually in the valve, it needs to be rebuilt. Just a note- even some mechanics nowadays don't realize the valve is sloppy when the engine is not running.

Borgeson just announced their new integrated PS steering box on this forum a few days ago (link was moved). The MSRP of their product is $549, but dealers may be selling it cheaper. If you can find the thread, it has some good Q&A, one of which was about wether or not they used the older Toyota boxes and the answer was no. Here's the link to their product.

Arrangements are being made to officially come on board as a supporting vendor, the original thread should be made available once that process is complete.

Thanks

So i see the new box from Borgeson.

it is priced much lower than the ABS one.

What way to go? I have the CPP upper and lower set up for my 65 coupe. i keep thinking about going rack and pinion for my steering.

Would one of these boxes be a better idea instead of rack and pinion.

i want power steering and more control on the steering if you know what i mean.

what way would you go? new power integrated steering box or power rack and pinion? either way i get out this old leaking crappy power steering set up.

Thanks

So i see the new box from Borgeson.

it is priced much lower than the ABS one.

What way to go? I have the CPP upper and lower set up for my 65 coupe. i keep thinking about going rack and pinion for my steering.

Would one of these boxes be a better idea instead of rack and pinion.

i want power steering and more control on the steering if you know what i mean.

what way would you go? new power integrated steering box or power rack and pinion? either way i get out this old leaking crappy power steering set up.

Thanks

With our box you will not loose any turning radius, all factory correct steering geometry is kept, and you will not have a rack & pinion reducing ground clearance or oil pan access.

Thanks

Borgeson's new box appears to be a Toyota Cressida box with a mounting plate welded to it.

The power steering hose connections are on the top of the Toyota box, which would interfere with stock equalizer. You'd either have to change to a cable clutch or do something really clever with the hose connections.

800110.JPG

Borgeson's new box appears to be a Toyota Cressida box with a mounting plate welded to it.

It's NOT a Toyota Cressida box, the core we are using is from newer vehicles. Correct, the case is machined and then an adapter plate welded to it however the sector shaft is also re-machined to fit either the 1" or 1-1/8" Mustang pitman arms. Box is completely disassembled cleaned, machined, welded, re-machined internally after welding, sector shaft is then machined to the appropriate size. Box is then painted, reassembled with new seals and bearings then tested.