ABS problems

demon40

Jul 24, 2004
canton, nc
Ok so i have a 94 cobra with ABS. When the car is cold the (ABS) light comes on and the front passenger side brake wants to pump no matter how much pressure i put on the pedal:shrug: , but when the car warms up the light goes off and the break functions like normal:bang: . I was wondering if maybe the valve block could be going bad, or if maybe it was a sensor. Can i switch the sensors from one side to the other and see if the problem follows or not? And i was also wondering if a shop could scan the ABS set up for codes or not. If any one has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

The ABS data link connector is located beside the fuse box under the hood. Most shops can read the codes for you but there is also a procedure you can do to read them yourself. If I'm not mistaken many Ford OBD1 code reader will also read from the ABS port, but I've never tried on mine.

As for what might be the problem, I'd first start by thoroughly cleaning the ABS sensors and the thoothed wheels behind the rotors to make sure the sensors are not getting false readings from dirt and debris (this has happened to me before, triggering the ABS light). Secondly, it is possible that the fault lies in the valve body. If the brake fluid has never been flushed, now would be a good time to do it. Brake fluid traps moisture very easily, so its always possible that the fluid has accumulated some level of water over the years and could be causing parts of the valve body to stick from oxidation. Flushing the system and putting i new fluid certainly won't hurt. My last guess is that the ABS unit is simply worn out and needs replacement.

ABS

Thanks man, im going today to clean every thing and change the break fluid. I found a web site that will be very useful to every body on here so pass the word around. www.veryuseful.com this web sith has all sorts of color codes wireing diagrams, and information on how to read the ABS codes with out a scanner.