Abused mustang

DJHA90

Dec 17, 2002
Texas
What whould you use to try and improve the looks of a car that has sat outside for 10 years. It's paint looks dull and oxidized (as one would expect). Cant afford a paint job right now and need something I can do myself. Would buffing it out with a polish work?

• Sponsors (?)

Zaino, a friend of mine bought a 93 Lightning a few years ago in Kentucky and the truck had sat outside for years, very oxidized paint, I wish I had before and after pics cause it was unbelievable what that Zaino could do.

Get a machine and some compound and...
washwax.gif

Yup a real buffer and some compound will really wake the paint up. Here mine I just did last week (I used Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Sealant for paint protection)
IMG_0138Medium.jpg

IMG_0133Medium.jpg

A far as I know this car has spent the better part of it's life outside 24/7. Now it looks better then some other new white gt's I've pulled up next too.

Attachments

• IMG_0138Medium.jpg
    IMG_0138Medium.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0133Medium.jpg
    IMG_0133Medium.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 77
really depends on how much paint is left. A detail shop can do a great job. Just ask a car lot manager were they are going. A good detail shop will save alot of work. Sure it might cost a little but you won't have to buy stuff you may never use again. Just add it up first.

Zaino, a friend of mine bought a 93 Lightning a few years ago in Kentucky and the truck had sat outside for years, very oxidized paint, I wish I had before and after pics cause it was unbelievable what that Zaino could do.

Ditto on the Zaino, if you cannot find any and what to try it your self first and dont want to use a buffer, (i bought an 86 f150 last year that was bad), i used clay bar, Meguiars paint cleaner, then Meguiars Paint polish (twice) then a couple coats of wax. turned out really well (for being doen by hand) and i used a random orbit polisher/waxer.

not to hijack this thread but TRBOFOX loved the article in MM&FF. :nice:

Cut and buff with a machine polisher, variable speed nice die grinder type. Use a good buffing pad Foam perferably. Buff until nearly dry. Then wipe excess. Do Not use the chintzy orbital types for 29.99 from autozone. Just be carefull not to heat up the paint and dig too deep. Use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #4 Heavy cut cleaner. Stay away from edges and take your time. You can only really get away with doing this once or twice at most on a good paint job.

Cut and buff with a machine polisher, variable speed nice die grinder type. Use a good buffing pad Foam perferably. Buff until nearly dry. Then wipe excess. Do Not use the chintzy orbital types for 29.99 from autozone. Just be carefull not to heat up the paint and dig too deep. Use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #4 Heavy cut cleaner. Stay away from edges and take your time. You can only really get away with doing this once or twice at most on a good paint job.

Not if you don't have experience. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Look to the local forums. You can correct a lot of problems using a very safe DA polisher and OTC products.