Achieving Quieter Exhaust...

This is probably something one would not normally do... but in my case it is a must. As it stands I have a very loud car... Something I am proud of and a little surprised I have not been popped for yet, Kindof. That is another story for another day. Let me give you some specs... 1996 Mustang GT, 75mm MAC Cold Air Straight-Shot Intake, 70mm MAC Throttle Body, 70mm MAC Polished Upper Plenum, 2.5in MAC Pro-Chamber(catless), 2.5in MAC Cat-Back With 3 Inch Tips, 255lph holley fuel pump, 24lb fuel injectors and a 24lb calibration tube on MAF inside the intake. Very Loud, Often Complemented, and yes I'm bragging. I also have 245k miles on my engine and cannot afford the downtime to rebuild the way I want. I recently came into possession of an engine, with a fresh rebuild, that has a 30 over bore, and the complete PI package. From what I'm told this engine, in a car with no aftermarket air/fuel mods, is slightly louder than my configuration(stock engine and Non-PI setup... I'm slightly skeptical of this but I trust my source). So I'm hoping someone out there would be able to direct me on possibly a different set of mufflers or maybe something I can put on or into my exhaust to quiet it down without hindering performance or airflow. I like being the loudest one among my friends, in the club, and at the local track(ah pre 200k mi memories) but I'm not looking to be the loudest one on the road. I'm sure you can all appreciate that.

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank You all in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Look at websites for Borls, Bassani, and Magnaflow. Read the descriptions for the various mufflers and send emails to the respective sites about your specific need. It's not necessary to add cats for the purpose of quieting your exhaust. That's not the function of a catalytic converter, just a side effect.

Reactions: 1 user
I was really hoping I wouldn't have to go catted but that seems to be the most common answer. Thanks to Noobz347, emailing the companies never crossed my mind. I'll figure out who I need to get in touch with for that. Thank you all for your prompt responses. If anyone else has any ideas I would like to hear them too. Have a great day and Happy New Year to everyone.

The dynomax superturbo is a quiet muffler. Without cats, it will still have a performance bark to it. Best of all, it won't break the bank (last I checked, they were under 50$ each), and you'll still get good performance. But in truth, even the stock mufflers flow well enough for your combo.

I had a set of Dynomax Super Turbos on my 96' back when I had the old NPI motor and with the new PI motor brielfly using a O/R X mid pipe. The Super Turbos were pretty quiet, to quiet for me so I bought a new set of flows.

I have an offroad Prochamber with 2-chamber Flowmasters. I'm not sure how it would compare to the Mac catback, but to me, it is not loud at all. It's actually one of the quieter setups out there. Quite honestly, my setup is my favorite exhaust combo on a 2-valve Mustang.

If you want even quieter, I have a friend with the same setup with 3-chamber Flowmasters, and it is very quiet. Not a whole lot louder than stock, but still sounds good.

Also, I just swapped out my NPI motor for a PI motor, and it is definitely louder. Not much, if any, louder at idle or WOT, but it is noticeable at cruising speed.