Adding a sub, but HOW????

Sep 19, 2003
I know this isn't sound and shine, but there seem to be some pretty knowledgeable people in here that could help me out. I am trying to add an amplifier and sub to my existing Mach 460 system while keeping the stock headunit. I know about all the wiring from the amp and the running of a remote lead to the fuse box.

Now I have been told by a local sound shop that I need a special $90 converter for the premium sound, but why wouldn't a regular $15 line level converter work? Also, if this will work can someone tell me where the wires are that I need to splice into and what the color the wires are(keep in mind that my car is a convertible). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.

• Sponsors (?)

I have been wondering the same damn thing. I already have an Infinity Basslink 10" sub, but when I put it in my trunk I couldn't here a thing. With the damn metal behind the rear seats it pretty much kills any sub sounds from entering the interior....I would be interested to hear how yours turns out...

I used the 15 dollar line level converter you're talking about. I have a vert so the amps are located in a different place. That's the only difference. All you need to do is tap into one left and one right output wire. Here is a link to a write up on how to do it.

Good Luck :nice:

Alright Blev, so which wires did you run the converter to? I know where the amps are, but do you remember which color the wires were that you spliced into? Have you had any type of trouble with the stock speakers or anything of that nature?

Y2K_MustangVert said:
Alright Blev, so which wires did you run the converter to? I know where the amps are, but do you remember which color the wires were that you spliced into? Have you had any type of trouble with the stock speakers or anything of that nature?
I'll check tonight when I get home. I have had zero problems of any nature. I have since added an aftermarket head unit and moved the RCA's to that. Still, no problems with the wires after they were spliced.

there are two ways. input converters or buy an amp with high level inputs. you wire you rear speaker wires to the amp for input.

The MTX amps have smart engange so you don't need a remote wire.

they are cheap on ebay.

I recomend an amp with high inputs because the converters you buy are usually crap. the amp will have that circiut built right into it that attenuates the incoming signal for what ever that amp needs.

Crappy converters can become a noise source to a system.

that being said ditching the factory crap is really the way to go but it raises the expense.

Johnson505 said:
Did any of you guys use bass blockers or crossovers on the Mach 460 speakers when you added subs?
No need for them, most amps have built in hi and lo pass filters.

These are the best pix I could get.
406598_88_full.jpg

406598_89_full.jpg