Adopted another one

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
After Chester (our 20 year old cat) died from CRF, Lizzy (17 years old) was really depressed and her health problems started getting worse. She already had hyperthyroidism, CRF, and two tumors in her chest. The cancer then spred to two toes on her left frot paw and she ulitmately had to have them amputated. We thought she was finally in the clear when the cancer spread to her face (and was getting worse extremely quickly), her thyroid started getting high again, and she went into the first stages of renal failure. The vet only gave her about 2 weeks to live (personally, I think it would have been 2 days tops because the cancer was making her face swell and she could hardly breath) so we chose to have her put down quickly & peacefully. :(

But after going through Chester's death, we knew that there would be a big hole and we'd end up getting yet another kitten. And since we were already in the process of introducing Tennessee to Emily & Jupiter, we figured we might as well get another cat fairly soon and just go though the whole mess once.

So we went to the shelter just to look and see what they had but we had no intention of bringing a cat home that day. I was also mainly looking at kittens Tennessee's age (12 weeks) so they could play and accept eachother and we would only have to worry about the older cats. I looked at the kittens and none of them were even close to being rambunctious enough to survive Tennessee (along with "demon kitty" she's also known as "hell cat" ). Then I saw an absolutely gorgeous cat and knew he had to come home with me.

He's 1 year old (far cry from 12 weeks), declawed in the front (definitely not my preference), unneutered (5/21 = snip snip), and looks a lot like a purebred turkish van. He had been at the shelter for a while and had been adopted once but they brought him back (said he wasn't good with other cats, but he's unneutered and their female probably didn't appreciate his friskiness :rolleyes: ).

They were calling him "Blue" which I though was pretty corny so I renamed him Romeo which is pretty fitting (at least until the 21st :D)

romeo05.jpg

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Good luck with the new member. I have lost 2 this year. Bob died overnight of heart failure and Cinderella died of cancer that spread into her lungs. Luckily Mongo is still hanging in there.

Sorry to hear about Lizzie. I take a long time to "warm up" to cats for some reason; it took me a while with Jessie's cat Midnight, and I'm still (after 5 months) getting used to Keura (NoKitten's cat which is probably going to be here a long while). But I know how it feels (not fun at all) to lose a four-footed family member; no matter how many there are.

But, on to the humorous post-parsing!
t_chelle16 said:
I looked at the kittens and none of them were even close to being rambunctious enough to survive Tennessee (along with "demon kitty" she's also known as "hell cat" ).
Emily must be so proud to be raising a youngster in her own image :p

They were calling him "Blue" which I though was pretty corny so I renamed him Romeo which is pretty fitting (at least until the 21st :D)
Unless Emily "un-fits his name" before then! :eek: :D

Emily & Jupiter still aren't too happy about the newest additions. Jupiter is afraid and Emily is just really upset about possibly losing her dominant position.

Romeo and Tennessee get along so-so. Sometimes Tennessee plays too rough and other times Romeo plays too rough. I'll feel a little more comfortable with them together once Tennessee gets a little bigger.

-Chelle

t_chelle16 said:
Emily & Jupiter still aren't too happy about the newest additions. Jupiter is afraid and Emily is just really upset about possibly losing her dominant position.

Romeo and Tennessee get along so-so. Sometimes Tennessee plays too rough and other times Romeo plays too rough. I'll feel a little more comfortable with them together once Tennessee gets a little bigger.

-Chelle

Sounds like around here.... Patches -our oldest at almost 16- took quite a while deciding not to kill (and I mean that literally) the first "new kitten", Midnight, when Jessie brought Midnight home. Eventually they became friends, even share the same bedroom. When NK brought Keura to the mix, Patches decided that her position as "Queen" wasn't in danger this time either; but Midnight literally has "hissy fits" whenever she and Keura are in the same room. Now, whenever Keura sees either cat, she puffs up and spits like crazy. Midnight is usally busy doing the same thing; but Patches can't figure out what the little cat's problem is. You can tell in Patches' facial expressions that she's just :scratch: It's kind of humorous that the cat that has a lifetime record of four confirmed kills of other cats - and one Cocker Spaniel - that trespassed on her domain; is now thoroughly non-plussed when this little kitten starts spitting at her. "What'd I do? What'd I do?"

The dogs - don't let me get started on the fun between Polly (my Chow mix, and the decided Queen B**** amongst the dog pack); Luna (my wife's female Lab/Greyhound mix) and 1/2NK's Latigo the Blue Heeler. Most days it's comical; some days they're about 2 seconds from all going back to the dog pound! :mad:

At least the two goats get along..... and Chance and Rascal (horses) accept each others' existance. :rolleyes:

When we first got Jupiter, Chester couldn't care less (he was really laid back) but Lizzy didn't want anything to do with her. A year later when we got Emily, Chester still couldn't care less and Lizzy suddenly became good buddies with Jupiter. Then when Chester got sick, Lizzy and Emily became good buddies and were always keeping an eye on him.

-Chelle

When I was living in VA I had a gray kiity that adopted me (you know how THAT works) that I had named Mousetrap......ya, I know, I'm sooooo imaginative.. :rolleyes:
Then four years later (just as my folks was a packin' to head North to NY) my step-mom guilted me into adopting this little kitten that Dad had found at the firehouse. She was ALL white except for a black streak running back along the top of her head, so of course she got named "Smokey".
MT disliked Smokey from DAY1. The house I lived in at the time had a wood rail on the front stoop which MT would jump up on and from there up onto the roof. The first time Smokey learned that trick was almost her last....I watched her through the open front door as she jumped up on the roof only to see an all white blur go by the front window a moment later. Sure enough, when I stepped out on the porch, MT was peering over the edge of the roof right where Smokey went off.....checking on her handiwork! :nonono:

Lizzy fell off the roof once. When we lived in California, we had a big cedar tree next to the house and the cats would use it to get on the roof to sun themselves. Lizzy was rolling around up there purring her head off and she rolled right over the edge and landed in the driveway on her side. She was still purring when she landed. :rolleyes:

-Chelle

65stanger said:
When I was living in VA I had a gray kiity that adopted me (you know how THAT works) that I had named Mousetrap......ya, I know, I'm sooooo imaginative.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's nowhere near as original as the cat names we come up with! Midnight is an all black cat. Patches is white with black.... patches! She replaced our big black male cat; imaginatively named Thomas

A friend of mine has a cat named Mouse and my mom used to have a cat named Cat. A couple weeks ago I let my brother pick out a goldfish for my pond and he named it Filet and I named the all white goldfish Midnight.

-Chelle

t_chelle16 said:
A friend of mine has a cat named Mouse and my mom used to have a cat named Cat.
-Chelle

Well, Mrs StDr's Lab mix is named Luna. Yep, a black dog named Moon :rolleyes:

As for cats; You have to know that, for years, NoKitten has had an interest Japanese anime characters. Way back many years ago (when NK's mother and I got along) , NK had a cat that he called (I'm gonna try to sound it out) De-OHgee. I asked if this was some Japanese name -'cause I was (and still am) an unrefined Redneck- and got this pained expression from the then-13-year-old kid. "No, it's De-OHgee. D-O-G!" Yeah, a warped sense of humor even then. :nonono:

De-OHgee. LOL

A long time ago I had a chow/german shepard mix. I gues the originall owners were going to take it and two other puppies to the pound, but the wrecked their truck. A friend of ours happened to come along and helped them out and also took the puppies. They named 2 of them Crasher & Wrecker. I took the 3rd but couldn't think of a similar name for it. My brother (who was also into Japananese & Japanese anime) suggested Jiko which means accident.

-Chelle

We had a black mutt when I was a kid (aeons ago) that we named Licorice. Then there was our Golden Retriever we adopted from the Seeing Eye Foundation, they couldn't use him because he had congenital hip dysplasia....his name was "Astro" (A because he was first of his litter).
When he died crossing the street, we adopted a stray Irish Setter Mom dubbed MacDuff. We had to put him up for adoption because we thought we were going to Iran (part of the Gov't sale of F-14's) to the Shah...when we didn't go we got another retriever Mom named "The Shah en Shah of Iran".
We also had a tortoise shell cat we found as a kitten (someone tossed her out a car window in a paper bag) that we name P.C. for :taco: Cat.

Last year the Activities Director at work had a naming contest for the facilities two goldfish (which died under mysterious circumstances and have since been replaced several times)....I suggested "Sue" for the male and "She" for the female.................

wait for it............

:doh:

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

65stanger said:
Last year the Activities Director at work had a naming contest for the facilities two goldfish (which died under mysterious circumstances and have since been replaced several times)....I suggested "Sue" for the male and "She" for the female.................

Our previous neighbors decided their little garden waterfall/pond would make a great koi pond. Patches was more of an outdoor cat at that time (10+ years ago) and she appreciated their efforts in raising fish outside - She was very interested in that particular variation of Oriental food.
It was starting to get a little irritating; having to buy about 10 bucks' worth of cat food and about $50-60 worth of overpriced, multicolored goldfish monthly! :mad:

t_chelle16 said:
They should have bought a dog.
They had a beagle, but he was afraid of Patches. We don't know why; there were no incriminating claw marks on his nose or anything :shrug:

We have tons of strays around here but we have yet to lose a goldfish to a cat. And Trixie really loves her 400 gallon water dish.

-Chelle
But Patches wasn't a sray - in fact she kept strays away. She was very good at keeping the strays away - because she hated cats.

If Tennessee were strictly black and white; she'd look like Patches did when she appeared on our front porch.

I saw two other items of interest in photo number 2:
First, the radio (sitting below Jupiter) isn't the same one you had mentioned in a long-ago thread, is it? Looks like a new model - what is it?

Second, Sadie is sitting out there looking awfully forlorn..... you still love her, don't you?

That's my parents' Zenith. I looked up the year on it once and, IIRC, it's about 5 years newer than my cathedral radio (Philco). I'll look around on my hard drive and see if I can find a good pic of it.

And yes, I still love Sadie, there's just been a lot going on the past few months.

-Chelle