Advice on Complete suspension kit

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's doing well. So I think I've decided to hold off a little bit on the supercharger, we'll see but I'd like to go ahead with a new suspension package. If possible I'd like to get something that is suitable for daily driving and won't chatter my passenger's teeth out of their head on a gravel road, but also something that will stiffen up the handling as much as possible with out compromising the ride quality too much.

I've thought about the FRPP, the saleen and the Roush but really haven't heard much about any of them. What are your picks? Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the kit under $2000 Canadian with install if possible, do you think that's doable? One other thing do any of you forsee any issues with my studded (17" Nokian) winter tires/winter driving, I don't think there should be any issues but I don't want to go to put my winters on in the fall and for some reason not have enough clearance or have rubbing b/c its lowered etc.

Thanks,
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Roush suspension and am happy with it. I live in New England where the roads aren't great and I don't think I've ever had it feel harsh. I put it in myself and did not have any problems, you just need a spring compressor for the struts. I think most suspension packages are pretty good for the 05+ cars, just shop around and see which one you like best. I know people run 20" wheels with these suspensions and don't have problems with them rubbing, so you won't have trouble with smaller wheels.

Honestly having driven both, go with the Ford Racing kit. You get the strut tower brace and all the sway bars too, included in the $1200.

I have also driven the Ford Racing kit around Willow Springs Raceway and the car hugged the corners like a champ. Add to that; the daily driving aspects of the kit; are also very nice. Even on SOCAL's craptastic roads.

I'm VERY happy with the suspension parts u see in my signature. The dspecs are great, as you can soften the damping so that the ride is even softer than stock if you desire. If you want stiffer, 5 minutes and a couple of turns of the adjuster and you're there:)

Silly question but do the Spec-D's give you recomentations of levels for regular driving, spirited street driving, drag racing, road racing etc.? I almost think I'd be constantly fiddling with them but not knowing what exactly would be the best for each situation.

Secondly when you say five minutes later, is it really five min and you're back on the road? Or take out the trunk liner, or the wheels or something else like that then 5 min. put them back on and then you're ready to go.

Sorry for being such a newb on suspension stuff.

Matt

With the D-Specs or the Konis, the adustment is the same. for the fronts, pop the hood, twist to adjust. For the rear, I fold down the rear seat and can reach the adjusters quite easily. You can also pop the trunk and pull back the trim. It takes 5 minutes if you stop to check out a lady walking by.

I like the BMR suspension parts (sway bars, LCAs, UCA, & TSB) along with Eibach Pro Kit and D-Specs. It'll cost a little more then the FRPP kit but should should also perform better.

Agreed, I like my Steeda Sport Springs though. This set-up will be much better than the FRPP or Roush suspension kits. The Tokico D-Specs were one of the best investments I've ever made for my car. They make it ride so good, even lowered. I also recommend ordering most of the stuff from Brenspeed.com.

I would highly recommend the Steeda Ultra-Lite springs and the D-Spec struts and dampers. I think this combination is the best for a daily driven car over all types of roads. The car will handle great and with the adjustability of the D-Specs you can have whatever ride and handling quality you like. I set mine on 6 turns from full firm for normal driving and go to 3 turns when I do some fun driving on the back roads. You can find the D-Specs for a good price if you check around and then get the Steeda springs and you will be well under $2000 including install.

If you decide you want more you can add sway bars and such at a later date but I think you will be more than happy with this combination.

Earl

After a year and a half of fiddling, my final (so far) solution, (many items selected and kept based on the kinds of advice and testimony like that above):

Steeda Sport springs - mild lowering, major performance enhancement, little ride deterioration.

Tokico D-Spec struts/shocks - adjustable in the best sense

Steeda adjustable front stabilizer bar - with the bracket braces

H&R rear bar - 26mm, quality hardware; I added Prothane bushings at the wheel end

BMR strut tower brace - makes an appreciable difference in a convertible replaced by:

Shelby 4-nut strut tower brace - makes an appreciable difference plus in a convertible

Still to be sorted, wheel/tire combos. I have:

FRPP "Fanblades" - 18x8.5 with Bridgestone RE-01R 245-45s, rough riders with 1+G side force, very communicative as to what is going on out there at the contact patch. No autocross experience on these, yet, but very well balanced -steer-wise. Heavy and moderately expensive.

Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition - 19x9/10 with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275-35s, luxury ride, excellent on-rampers, not that bad at autocross. Heavy and expensive setup.

With these pieces of kit the over- under-steer can be dialed in and out, weight transfer for drag racing can be adjusted to an extent. The car has very little body roll, and sticks like crazy at pretty impressive rates. I sit in it and drive, and smile so wide it hurts.