Advice on Drag Wheels

99CobraJMS

Founding Member
Sep 10, 2001
Austin
Been doing some reasrch on the various forums. Have come across various advice. I have read about wheels from the GT guys and Cobra guys. I concluded that since I got Cobra Brakes and Rotors on my solid axle that 15x8 wheels will not fit. That I need 16x8. I also conclude that I need a backspacing of 5.5 inches for 16x8 or 15x8 and backspacing of 6.5 inches for 15x10 or 16x10. I notice that most people are running Weld Prostar or Prostar XPs for 15x8 or 15x10. That drag wheels and tires for 16 inch are limited.

Before I spend some $$s. I want to double check with some of you. Is this a correct setup for me

1) Wheels = 16x8 with a backspace of 5.5 (Summit has a ton of 15x8 I did not see any 16x8 in WELDS. I did find a brand called Bogart that has 16s and heard about Bart wheels but did not find any 16 inch)
2) Tires = 26/9/16 (WHo make a slick in this size??? I could not find an ET Drags in 16s)

Also, I want to find a cheap option and WELDS are $$s. Do they make cheap American Racing wheels in black that are 16x8 and have the 5.5 backspace,
I did see a set of black 15x8 American Racing wheels at Pep Boys for $50 each.

Also read that stock V6 wheels are 16x7.5 and might do the trick for the cheaper route.

cobras with solid axles , with their cobra rotors/brakes post what your running for a setup with slicks. No Drs or Streets.

JOhn

• Sponsors (?)

With a solid rear you can get American racing wheels P/N ARE-7675866 from summit ( http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ARE-7675866&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=are-7675866 ) and they'll fit perfectly...I run these on my car and I've had 275/50/15 BFG DR's on them and I currently run 26x10.5x15 ET Streets on them...They might be the same as Pep boys has...I got them for $37/ea about 2 years ago, looks like the price has gone up a bit...here's a picture of my car with them (I spray painted them silver to match a little better)

nowing5.jpg

I assume your cobra rotors and brakes are the same size as my 99s so I can in fact run 15 inch wheels.

This setup is 15x8 with 4.75 backspace and black. I might paint them too if I got black. Since this is 15 inch I now got a better tire selection option. Your running a 10.5 tire on an 8 wheel and look cool. How does this setup hook for you at the track since you are running ET Streets.

Thanks for the response and PIC. I am feeling better that 15s fit.

John

Yeah, I still have the stock brakes and they are the same size as yours are. I've pulled 1.79 60's with the ET streets although there's more there, I just can't do a good burnout to heat up the tires well enough...

The main reason why 99+ Cobras can't run 15" wheels is because one of the IRS bolts get in the way, but since you have a solid rear you don't have that issue anymore...